I am leaving high school early and starting to look at colleges

In summary: This would make it difficult to meet the physics department's requirement of 30 credits in physics. If you want to be able to graduate early, I would recommend finding a school that has a more liberal arts-focused curriculum. Reed College in Portland, Oregon might be a good option.
max111
I have been very bored at my high school. I took the hardest math and physics classes at my high school my freshman year (Calc BC and Physics C:E&M/Mechanics) and I am now a sophomore taking classes at the community college. However, I have pretty much exhausted the courses there. Given my situation, the school will be flexible with graduation requirements, and I will probably graduate early.

I want to study physics in college, but my dad wants to make sure I get a liberal arts education as well. I am qualified for many "top schools" (i.e. Caltech, University of Chicago, MIT) but I not one of those kids who needs to go to a "top school."

Do you know of any liberal arts schools with good physics programs? Will I pretty much get the same physics undergrad education anywhere? Does anybody know if Carleton has a good physics dept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Big schools tend to require liberal arts education in order to graduate anyway. I go to UW in Seattle and I have to take a bunch of art-type classes and things like social studies, etc.

Carleton in Ottawa?

If I were you I would look at Reed College in Portland Oregon, it is a small liberal arts school but they have a good physics program (the well known textbook writer David Griffiths teaches there). They also have mandatory humanities requirements of all undergraduates so that should make your dad happy. It's a really selective school though so if that's not what you're looking for this might not be the best.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_College

I would also look at places like UC-Berkeley or the University of Washington (or any other university commonly categorized as a public ivy).

Some other good small colleges that come to my mind (in no particular order):

in California: Harvey Mudd

in Iowa: Grinnell

in Ohio: Oberlin and Kenyon

in the Carolinas: Davidson and Furman

in the Northeast: Swarthmore, Middlebury, Williams, Dartmouth

Also one thing to consider is that you have shown that you are fairly advanced already. If you go to a school that accepts your AP credit then you will be well ahead of the game assuming you come in with credit for Calc 1,2 and Physics 1,2 plus what ever other AP's you take and also classes from CC.
What this means is that a "normal" freshmen would start the physics curriculum in Physics 1 and Calc 1 for their first semester. You are already ahead of this so you could spend some time taking humanities classes at any point in your undergrad career and not really worry aboutt falling behind too much.
You could either start ou with humanities and then catch back up with the physics program second year when most of the other students would then be at your level. Or you could try and finish your physics degree requirements asap and take an easy 4th year studying what ever you feel. Or more likely just take it easy on the math sci classes and only do one or two each semester while you fill the gaps with plenty of other classes. I would recommend taking foreign language.

Carleton in Minnesota (Northfield I think)

to clarify, i am qualified for well-known/top schools (i.e. 36 on ACT, good grades) but am willing to explore other options
essentially i want a college that will give me a good foundation in physics (i.e. grad school would be an option), but also has good humanities.

Consider University of Wisconsin Madison. The physics program is quite strong in terms of theory and research. The instructors are not great, but the with your intellect you should be fine. The school also offers a lot of humanities both in the classroom and elsewhere.

The physics department requires only 30 out of 120 credits be from the department and the remaining 90 credits are math and some science but are largely composed of liberal studies.

http://www.hmc.edu/

I believe that 1/3 of your undergraduate education is outside of math/science.

What is the benefit of leaving high school early and starting to look at colleges?

The benefit of leaving high school early and starting to look at colleges is that it gives you more time to research and visit potential schools, as well as prepare for the college application process. It also allows you to potentially graduate college earlier and save money on tuition.

What steps should I take if I am leaving high school early and starting to look at colleges?

If you are leaving high school early and starting to look at colleges, there are a few important steps you should take. First, research potential colleges and make a list of ones that interest you. Then, visit the campuses and attend college fairs to get a better feel for each school. Next, prepare for standardized tests and gather letters of recommendation from teachers or mentors. Finally, make sure to meet all application deadlines and submit all required materials.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a college?

When choosing a college, it is important to consider factors such as academic programs, location, campus culture, cost, and extracurricular opportunities. You should also think about your personal preferences and priorities, such as the size of the school and the types of activities and clubs offered. It is a good idea to visit the campus and talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the school.

What are some ways to make the most of my time in college?

To make the most of your time in college, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. This can include creating a schedule, prioritizing tasks, and seeking help from professors or academic advisors when needed. It is also important to get involved in extracurricular activities, internships, and networking opportunities to gain experience and make connections. Additionally, make sure to take advantage of resources and services offered by the college, such as career centers and tutoring programs.

How can I prepare for the transition from high school to college?

To prepare for the transition from high school to college, it is important to familiarize yourself with the college environment and expectations. This can include attending college prep workshops, talking to current college students, and practicing time management and study skills. You should also start thinking about your career goals and explore potential majors and career paths. Additionally, make sure to stay organized and on top of deadlines for applications, financial aid, and housing.