Avoid Poor Sound Quality with FM Transmitters

In summary: I also think that there may be something wrong with the audio output of the receiver, as the same song played from a commercial transmission (via FM transmitter) sounds significantly better than the same song played from my personal receiver, which is also a cheap model.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
A quick one for you sparkies...

There are a ton of FM transmitters you can use to pipe your iPod or other device over your FM stereo. There is one thing in common to the three units I have tried that is very annoying. I have noticed that there is very poor sound quality for the higher frequency content. All three units I have tried have had such poor sound quality that I can't play a fair amount of the music in my collection. Admittedly, these units are the cheaper models that you can get anywhere, in the $10-20 price range. I can definitely point the problem to the transmitter because I don't have the issue with a direct hard line from the player to the same stereo.

My question is, is (are) there a specification/parameter(s) that I should keep an eye out for that would help me avoid waisting money on other units that will repeat this problem?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you list the models you have that are not working well? There should be an audio bandwidth spec somewhere, at least on the better models.

Yoiks! Here's one for $250 with good audio bandwidth: http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-AKG-WMS40-Progb-60-A-B

The Monster Cable units look like they may be good candidates:

$70 http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3232&section=ipod

$85 http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3233&section=ipod

I don't find audio bandwidth specs there, though -- you might see if you can find them. Maybe you'll just have to go to a store that has them on display and try them...presumably some stores would be set up to let you do that. Maybe like a Circuit City or a Frys?

Ignoring the transmitter aspect for the moment

Even a good FM receiver has a bandwidth limit of 15khz.
If you have good hearing that in itself is quite noticeable.

Another parameter that is much more difficult to find is dynamic range.
IIRC a CD or high quality MP3 can have a dynamic range of 90db, while the FM transmission max falls around 60db.

While a good receiver has a harmonic distortion close to 0, this parameter also applies to the transmitter.

Edit: There is also channel separation.

I have no idea how close your FM transmitters come to the allowable limits.

Since you say that the result is horrible (I agree).
What do you think of the same song picked up from a commercial transmission?
This could give you a good idea if it's just a lousy transmitter or if you are never going to be happy with the results.

NoTime said:
Ignoring the transmitter aspect for the moment

Even a good FM receiver has a bandwidth limit of 15khz.
If you have good hearing that in itself is quite noticeable.

Another parameter that is much more difficult to find is dynamic range.
IIRC a CD or high quality MP3 can have a dynamic range of 90db, while the FM transmission max falls around 60db.

While a good receiver has a harmonic distortion close to 0, this parameter also applies to the transmitter.

Edit: There is also channel separation.

I have no idea how close your FM transmitters come to the allowable limits.

Since you say that the result is horrible (I agree).
What do you think of the same song picked up from a commercial transmission?
This could give you a good idea if it's just a lousy transmitter or if you are never going to be happy with the results.
Unfortunately, my musical tastes do not coincide with what is played over the radio stations these days. However, you do bring up something that I can try. I'll download a popular song and do the back to back compare. Perhaps there is something in the receiver...

Thanks to both of you guys for the info!

I suspect the problem lies in the stereo encoder having a crude 15 kHz low pass filters with a much more gradual fall-off than a broadcast transmitter.

1. What is an FM transmitter and how does it work?

An FM transmitter is a device that wirelessly sends audio signals from a source, such as a phone or MP3 player, to a radio or speaker. It works by converting the audio signals into radio waves, which can then be picked up by a nearby FM receiver.

2. Can using an FM transmitter affect the sound quality of my music?

Yes, it can. The quality of the sound produced by an FM transmitter depends on various factors such as the quality of the transmitter itself and the strength of the radio frequency being used. If these factors are not optimal, it can result in poor sound quality.

3. How can I avoid poor sound quality when using an FM transmitter?

To avoid poor sound quality with an FM transmitter, make sure to invest in a high-quality transmitter that uses a strong and stable radio frequency. Additionally, try to keep the transmitter and the receiver close to each other and away from any potential sources of interference, such as other electronic devices.

4. Are there any specific FM frequencies that are better for sound quality?

Yes, there are. Generally, lower FM frequencies (below 90 MHz) tend to provide better sound quality compared to higher frequencies. This is because lower frequencies have a longer wavelength, which allows for a stronger and more stable signal.

5. Are there any alternative methods for improving sound quality with FM transmitters?

Yes, there are a few alternatives you can try. One option is to use an FM transmitter with a direct audio input, which can bypass any potential interference. Another option is to invest in a digital FM transmitter, which can provide better sound quality compared to traditional analog transmitters.