Problem related to a 2x2 matrix

• Thread starter boombaby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a real 2x2 matrix, A, is given and it is known that A^m=0. The goal is to prove that A^2=0. The conversation includes various attempts and ideas for solving the problem, including using the characteristic polynomial of A and considering possible eigenvalues. Ultimately, it is suggested to approach the problem by considering the matrix A in a different basis. Some helpful information is shared, and it is concluded that the problem may be easier than initially thought.
boombaby

Homework Statement

Let A be any real 2x2 matrix. If A^m=0, prove that A^2=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It might be quite easy, but I cannot find any way to prove it...all my attempts failed to get any closer to the solution...(I'm not sure why it is the A^2 which should equals to 0, not A^1,or A^3...)

Any hint will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking about what the characteristic polynomial of A might look like. Does A^m=0 tell you anything about possible eigenvalues of A?

this exercise appeared right after the very early chapter where matrix is introduced and eigenvalues are not mentioned...I will review that eigenvalue part though and thanks for the idea .If possible, could you find me an more elementary way to prove it?:) I thought it should have one...
I'm reading <Introduction to Algebra - part I: Fundamentals of Algebra, by A. I. Kostrikin> for a reviewing study.

boombaby said:
this exercise appeared right after the very early chapter where matrix is introduced and eigenvalues are not mentioned...I will review that eigenvalue part though and thanks for the idea .If possible, could you find me an more elementary way to prove it?:) I thought it should have one...
I'm reading <Introduction to Algebra - part I: Fundamentals of Algebra, by A. I. Kostrikin> for a reviewing study.

Well, if you let V be the space of two dimensional vectors, the A^n(V)=0=A(A^(n-1)(V)). Since A^(n-1)(V) is not equal to zero then there must be a vector v such that A(v)=0. If you write the matrix of A in a basis containing v, then the matrix of A must have a column of zeros. So it must look like [[0,a],[0,b]]. Start writing down powers of A. Do you see that if A^2 isn't zero then no power of A is zero?

I've done it: Let A=(a b; ka kb), assuming rank A=1 (if rank A=0, things are getting trivial, and rand A=2 will never satisfy A^n=0). this yields that A^2=(a+kb)A, which gives A^m=(a+kb)^(m-1) A. Hence if A~=0, a+kb=0, and A^2 therefore equals to 0.
what I also find is that A does not necessarily have a column of zeros, a k satisfying a+kb=0 is the only necessity imo...well, this problem seems really easy, anyway I got a lot more helpful information:) which I'm not quite good at for now, but I will keep an eye on it when I reach those parts. A big thank u that you are always helping me and others :)

That works fine. My point was that if B is a matrix representing the same linear transformation as A in a different basis, then A^n=0 etc if and only if B^n=0 etc. So you can do row operations (change of basis) on A. Take your A and multiply the first row by -k and add it to the second. Now you have B=(a b; 0 0). Actually, I like your way better. Less explaining to do.

1. What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a mathematical tool used to organize and manipulate data. It is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in two rows and two columns.

2. How is a 2x2 matrix used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a 2x2 matrix is commonly used to represent and analyze data sets with two variables. It can also be used in statistics to calculate probabilities and make predictions.

3. What are the properties of a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix has four elements, two rows, and two columns. It can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar, and can also be multiplied by another matrix using specific rules.

4. What are the applications of a 2x2 matrix in the real world?

A 2x2 matrix has various applications in the real world, such as in economics, physics, engineering, and biology. It can be used to model and solve problems involving two variables, such as supply and demand in economics or position and velocity in physics.

5. How can I solve a problem related to a 2x2 matrix?

To solve a problem related to a 2x2 matrix, you can use various techniques such as matrix addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inverse operations. You can also use determinants and matrix algebra to solve equations and make predictions based on the given data.