Can't make sense of this trig identity

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in understanding an identity in first year differential calculus. The identity in question is sinC+sinB=2Sin (C+D)/2 cos (c-D)/2, which is derived from addition and subtraction identities. The confusion arises from the use of (c+b)/2 instead of x, and it is clarified that this is simply a substitution and not a new concept.
banfill_89

Homework Statement

im in first year differential calculas and i have no idea what my prof wrote down...i just copied it and thought ide figure it out later. but i can't fore the life of me.

Homework Equations

the identitie that he wrote is:

sinC+sinB=2Sin (C+D)/2 cos (c-D)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

side note ) x+y = c
x-y = b

i understand where the sin C + sin B, its the (c+d)/2 that has me confused...these identities are just another way of writing the identities derived from adding and subtracting the addition and subtraction identities

Change the 'D' to 'B'. Then it works. Sure, it's derived from addition and subtraction identities. Basically everything is.

where did the (c+b)/2 come from...i know they subbed that in for x...but why?

I don't know, you didn't give us the whole problem. I do know sin(c)+sin(b)=2*sin((c+b)/2)*cos((c-b)/2).

What is a trig identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation involving trigonometric functions that is true for all values of the variables within a certain range.

Why is it important to understand trig identities?

Trig identities are essential for solving more complex trigonometric equations and for simplifying expressions involving trigonometric functions.

What are some common strategies for proving trig identities?

Some common strategies for proving trig identities include using the fundamental trigonometric identities, using algebraic manipulation, and substituting specific values for the variables.

How can I remember all the trig identities?

It can be helpful to memorize the most commonly used trig identities, and to understand how they are derived from the fundamental identities. Practice and repetition can also aid in remembering the identities.

What should I do if I can't make sense of a trig identity?

If you are struggling to make sense of a trig identity, try breaking it down into smaller parts and using known identities to help guide your thinking. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor for further clarification.