Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 ?

In summary: This was so helpful. In summary, Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 can be simplified using the Taylor series expansion around the 0 pole.
quasar_4
Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 ??

Homework Statement

Determine the Laurent series and residue for f(z) = [tex]\frac{1}{(e^{z} - 1)^{2}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

We know that the Taylor series expansion of e[tex]^{z}[/tex] is = 1 + z + (z^2)/2! + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I am soooo confused. It's almost like a geometric series, except the denominator is squared. I know I need to use the Taylor series expansion, but I don't know where. Do I just invert the Taylor series expansion? How do I deal with the fact that it's squared?

I almost thought of writing it into the geometric series anyway, then squaring the terms (obviously this isn't really accurate, as I'd be missing tons of cross-terms, but if we only need a few terms of the series anyways...). Can anyone help to explain what's going on?

I understood the example in our book (there's only 1 example :frown:) but it had two different poles, and I was able to expand the Taylor series around the "other" pole for each Laurent series. Here our only pole is 0 (though of order 2) and I don't know how to proceed.
Any help would be so appreciated! :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org

You expand around z=0. exp(z)-1=z+z^2/2!+...=z(1+z/2!+...). Write that as z(1+a) where a=z/2!+z^2/3!+... So 1 over that squared is (1/z^2)*(1/(1+a)^2). The series expansion for 1/(1+a)^2 is 1-2a+3a^2+... As you said, you only need the first few terms. Now start throwing away terms that you know won't contribute to the terms you need. E.g. a^2 starts with a z^2 term.

oh,oh, that is SOOO Nice!

IT WORKED! :rofl:

I think this has helped me a LOT. You use the Taylor series to simplify your expression into a form that you can expand in geometric/other series, because it's a lot simpler than doing the nasty line integral for the coefficients? Basically we just put this into a different looking form, and then it all stood out.

I even got the same answer as Maple, up to the first 5 terms! :biggrin:

Thank you Dick!

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical representation of a complex function that can be expressed as a sum of infinitely many terms, including both positive and negative powers of the complex variable z.

2. What is the significance of the function f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2?

This function is commonly used in the study of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, as it represents the energy distribution of a system in thermal equilibrium at a certain temperature.

3. How is a Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes positive powers of z, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. Additionally, a Taylor series is centered around a single point, while a Laurent series can be centered around any point within the function's domain.

4. Can a Laurent series always be found for a given function?

No, a Laurent series can only be found for functions that are analytic in a region of the complex plane, meaning they have a continuous and differentiable value at every point within that region.

5. How can Laurent series be used to approximate complex functions?

By truncating the series to a finite number of terms, Laurent series can be used to approximate complex functions within a certain range. The more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.