Please help with an acceleration and distance problem

• Thread starter science_rules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the negative acceleration and distance traveled of a rocket sled going down a track at 632 miles/hr, which is brought to a rest in 1.40 seconds. The equations used are a = change in velocity divided by change in time and x = xi + vit + 1/2 at^2, but the resulting values did not match the book's answers. The correct equations are v = u + at for acceleration and v2 = u2 + 2as for distance. The conversation concludes with a reminder to be careful with signs and using simpler equations when solving problems.
science_rules

Homework Statement

A rocket sled goes down a track at a speed of 632 miles/hr. The sled is then brought to a rest in 1.40 seconds. Determine the a) negative acceleration experienced on the sled and b) the distance traveled during the negative acceleration.

Homework Equations

I attempted to calculate the acceleration using the a = change in velocity divided by change in time. The answer in my book was -202 meters/second squared, which i didn't understand because when I tried converting my result to met/sec, it did not match this. it was too much: -661.4 met/sec. i also tried calculating the distance traveled using the distance formula: x= xi + vit + 1/2 at^2 This also didn't work because I realized when I tried converting my answer to met/seconds, it was still way too much. The book's answer was 119 meters. My answer was 1, 495.2 meters. I thought that I used the correct formulas but there must be something I am missing.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be carefull with signs!
The equations are quite simple, v = u + at for the acceleration and v2 = u2 + 2as for the distance.

ok thanks! i think i was not aware of a few of the simpler equations to use when solving these problems.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In other words, it is the measure of how quickly an object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in an object's velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the total change in velocity, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the change in velocity at a specific point in time.

4. How does distance relate to acceleration?

Distance is the measurement of how far an object has traveled, and it is directly related to acceleration. The greater the acceleration, the greater the change in an object's velocity, and therefore the greater the distance it will travel in a given amount of time.

5. How can I solve an acceleration and distance problem?

To solve an acceleration and distance problem, you will need to use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to find the acceleration, and then use one of the kinematic equations to find the distance traveled. These equations include d = vit + 1/2at^2, d = (vi + vf)t/2, and d = vft - 1/2at^2. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine which variables are given and which need to be solved for.