Calculus and Physics with Velocity

As I said before, velocity is the derivative of distance and the height function is given by s= -16t2+ 750. The derivative of that is -32t so the velocity at time 6.84 seconds is -32(6.84)= -218.88 feet per second.
pippintook
A coin is dropped from a height of 750 feet. The height, s, (measured in feet), at time, t (measured in seconds), is given by s= -16t2 + 750.

a) Find the average velocity on the interval [1, 3].
b) Find the instantaneous velocity when t = 3.
c) How long does it take for the coin to hit the ground?
d) Find the velocity of the coin when it hits the ground.

For (a), I graphed the equation on my calculator and found y = 686 when x = 2 (the average of 1 and 3). I don't know if that's the right thing to do though.

For (b), I simply plugged t = 3 into the equation given and got 606. Again, I don't know if that's the right thing to do.

For (c), I found when y = 0, x was 6.84. That doesn't seem like a logical time though.

I wasn't quite sure how to do (d), and I have the sneaking suspicion I'm not doing any of these right. Any help with any of the sections is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not done these things in a while so excuse me if I make a mistake..
To find the velocity as it hits the ground, you want to measure the velocity at position 0. Since you have a position function, differentiating it with respect to time will give you distance over time which is velocity. So find the derivative function and input the position as 0.

pippintook said:
A coin is dropped from a height of 750 feet. The height, s, (measured in feet), at time, t (measured in seconds), is given by s= -16t2 + 750.

a) Find the average velocity on the interval [1, 3].
b) Find the instantaneous velocity when t = 3.
c) How long does it take for the coin to hit the ground?
d) Find the velocity of the coin when it hits the ground.

For (a), I graphed the equation on my calculator and found y = 686 when x = 2 (the average of 1 and 3). I don't know if that's the right thing to do though.
No, that is not the right thing to do. For one thing, I don't know what you mean by x and y! There are no "x" and "y" in the problem. Are you saying you graphed s= -16t2+ 750 as "y= -16x2+ 750"? For another, that is height, not velocity! "Average velocity" is "distance traveled divided by time". Surely you knew that! When t= 1, s= -16(1)2+ 750= 734 and when t= 3, s= -16(3)2+ 750= -16(9)+ 750= -144+ 750= 606. The coin has moved downward 606 feet in 2 seconds. What was its aveage velocity?

For (b), I simply plugged t = 3 into the equation given and got 606. Again, I don't know if that's the right thing to do.
And again, it's not! Don't just plug numbers into whatever formula you have without thinking. You were told, because you say it here, "the height is given by ...". That formula is height, not velocity. Velocity is the rate of change of distance or height: the derivative.

For (c), I found when y = 0, x was 6.84. That doesn't seem like a logical time though.
Why not? This is the one you got right!

I wasn't quite sure how to do (d), and I have the sneaking suspicion I'm not doing any of these right. Any help with any of the sections is appreciated!
You titled this "Calculus and Physics with Velocity". Didn't you expect it to involve Calculus? The velocity when the coin hits the ground is the derivative of the height function at the time the coin hits the ground- which you just calculated.

1. What is calculus and how is it related to physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and rates of change. It is used in physics to analyze and solve problems involving motion, velocity, acceleration, and other concepts related to change.

2. What is velocity and why is it important in physics?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is important in physics because it helps us understand and describe the motion of objects and how they change over time.

3. How is calculus used to calculate velocity in physics?

Calculus is used to calculate velocity by finding the derivative of the position function with respect to time. This derivative gives us the rate of change of position, which is velocity.

4. Can calculus be used to solve real-world problems involving velocity?

Yes, calculus is commonly used to solve real-world problems involving velocity. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects in projectile motion or to calculate the velocity of a falling object due to gravity.

5. How does understanding velocity through calculus help in other areas of physics?

Understanding velocity through calculus is crucial in other areas of physics because it is a fundamental concept in the study of motion and change. It is used to analyze and solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and other branches of physics.