Is f(x) =1, 0<= x <= 1, and f(x) = 2, 1<x<=2 Riemann Integrable?

• Thread starter icantadd
  • Start date
In summary, The function f(x) is Riemann integrable on the interval [0,2] and the integral is equal to 3. The lower and upper integrals are equal, and the function is monotonic, satisfying the theorem for Riemann integrability. By breaking the interval into three smaller intervals, each with a different constant value for f(x), it can be shown that the function is Riemann integrable.
icantadd

Homework Statement

Let f:[a,b] -> R where f(x) =1, 0<= x <= 1, and f(x) = 2, 1<x<=2. Show f is riemann integrable on [0,2], and compute integral.

Homework Equations

A function f, bounded on an interval [a,b] is riemann integrable iff the lower integral equals the upper integral.
Lower integral is the sup of the lower sum, upper integral the inf of the upper sums.

lower sum is denoted L(p,f); upper U(p,f).

f is r. integrable iff for every e >0 there is a partition P such that U(p,f) - L(p,f) <= e.

What would be really nice is to break this into two integrals, one from o to 1, the other from 1 to 2. However, we "don't know this yet". This question is in a section of the book before the "algebra of integrals" is discussed. We also have not discussed riemann sums yet, and I so I don't think I can mark my partition.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so because this function is constant except for a jump at some x_k in [0,2], what I want to do is isolate this point and handle it on its own. So I just call it x_k.

Next, is obvious that the only place that the lower integral will differ from the upper integral will be about x_k. Part of me also wants to just call x_k 1, but then I don't get the nice coherent notation for writing out my partition. So here let P be a partition of [0,2] such that there are an even number of partitions, and the partitions split around 1 = x_k very nicely.

I get that the lower integral equals x_n - x_(k+1) equals 2 - 1 = 1. And I stop. This is obviously wrong. The integral should be 3, so I know I am wrong. Can anyone help me out on this one?

Oh yeah, here is another solution I started working on. Because f is constant most of the time, I can say that f is monotonic. In fact, trivially, I can say that it is increasing if I take increasing to mean >=. Then I have a theorem that if f is monotonic, f is riemann integrable. I just don't know how to deal with the jump. Or does it not matter.

Thank you PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Break your interval into three intervals: from 0 to 1-1/n, from 1-1/n to 1+ 1/n, and from 1+ 1/n to 2. In the first interval, the "upper" and "lower" sums are the same: 1 times the length- and as n goes to infinity, the length goes to 1. In the third integral, the "upper" and "lower" sums are the same: 2 times the length- and as n goes to infinity, the length goes to 1. For the middle interval, the "upper" sum is 2 times the length while the "lower" length is 1 times the length- but the length goes to 0.

Any partition can "refined" so that no intervals overlap two of those three.

1. What is the definition of "This one should be easy"?

"This one should be easy" is a phrase commonly used to express confidence in one's ability to complete a task or solve a problem. It implies that the task or problem is not particularly difficult or challenging.

2. Can "This one should be easy" be applied to all tasks or problems?

No, "This one should be easy" is a subjective phrase and can vary from person to person. What may be easy for one person may be difficult for another. It also depends on an individual's level of knowledge and expertise in a particular subject.

3. What is the origin of the phrase "This one should be easy"?

The origin of this phrase is unclear, but it has been used colloquially for many years. It is possible that it originated from the phrase "piece of cake", which also conveys the idea of something being easy.

4. Is there a more appropriate way to express confidence in completing a task or solving a problem?

Yes, instead of using a subjective phrase like "This one should be easy", it is more effective to state your knowledge, skills, and experience that make you confident in completing the task or solving the problem. This not only conveys confidence but also provides evidence to support it.

5. Can using "This one should be easy" have negative implications?

Yes, using this phrase can sometimes come across as dismissive or overconfident, which can be perceived as disrespectful or arrogant. It is important to be mindful of how the phrase may be interpreted by others and to use it in appropriate situations.