Delayed Differential Equation Research

In summary, the conversation discusses a delayed differential equation and the progress made towards finding a solution. The equation has been proven to have a unique solution and satisfy a locally Lipschitz condition. However, finding a solution has been challenging, with only the case of x(0) = 0 being solved. Various methods such as Picard iteration and Laplace transforms have been considered but have not been successful. The idea of using a series expansion has also been suggested but implementation is difficult. Suggestions and advice for proceeding are requested.
nburnett

Homework Statement

I am researching the delayed differential equation x'(t) = x(t/2) and haven't made much progress. Does anyone have suggestions?

Homework Equations

I have proved that for any initial condition, a solution exists, and it is unique, but the proofs are fairly long, so I won't post them here. Both of the proofs rely on the equation satisfying a locally Lipschitz condition.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only progress I have made on finding a solution is the easy case where x(0) = 0, in which case x = 0 satisfies the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have considered various methods, such as Picard iteration and numerical approximations, but have not had much success. It seems like the equation is too nonlinear to be amenable to these methods.I have also considered Laplace transforms, but I'm not sure how to apply them in this case.One idea I had was to use a series expansion of x(t) around t = 0; however, this approach seems difficult to implement in practice.I'm at a loss for how to proceed, so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is a delayed differential equation?

A delayed differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a system over time by taking into account the effects of past values of the system. In contrast to ordinary differential equations, delayed differential equations involve a time delay between the current value and the past values of the system.

2. What is the significance of studying delayed differential equations?

Delayed differential equations are commonly used in many areas of science, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and economics, to model systems that exhibit time delays. By studying these equations, researchers can gain insights into the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

3. What are some applications of delayed differential equations?

Delayed differential equations have been used to model a wide range of systems, including population dynamics, chemical reactions, control systems, and neural networks. They have also been used to study phenomena such as epidemics, climate change, and financial market fluctuations.

4. What are the challenges in solving delayed differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving delayed differential equations is the complexity of the equations, which often have no analytical solutions and require numerical methods to approximate the solutions. Additionally, the presence of time delays can make the equations more difficult to solve and can lead to instability in the solutions.

5. How does research on delayed differential equations contribute to scientific progress?

Studying delayed differential equations allows researchers to gain a deeper understanding of complex systems and how they evolve over time. This knowledge can then be applied to develop more accurate models and make predictions about the behavior of these systems, leading to advancements in various fields of science and technology.