Mathematics Online @ University of Arkansas - Little Rock

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a regionally accredited online mathematics degree program at the University of Arkansas - Little Rock. The program has a variety of math courses, including calculus, discrete mathematics, and statistics, with a total of 50 credit hours. The speaker is seeking feedback on the program and is willing to put in the effort to earn their degree in math. They also mention another possible option, the University of Illinois at Springfield.
Cod
After months and months of research looking for a good mathematics degree online that's regionally accreditated, and I think I may have found a program that will set me up for grad school in mathematics and/or some other science. The program I found is at the University of Arkansas - Little Rock, which is a regionally accreditated school and a "legit" school according to the Department of Education. Anyways, I was hoping that some of y'all could take a look at the math requirements of the B.S. program:

MATH 1302 College Algebra
MATH 1451 Calculus I
MATH 1303 Trigonometry
MATH 1223 Introduction to Mathematics Software
MATH 1452 Calculus II
MATH 2453 Calculus III
MATH 2310 Discrete Mathematics
MATH 3322 Introduction to Differential Equations
MATH 3312 Linear Algebra
MATH 3310 Algebraic Structures I
STAT 3352 Applied Statistics I
MATH 4390 Senior Seminar
MATH 4303 Advanced Calculus I
MATH 4304 Advanced Calculus II
MATH 4302 Complex Analysis or MATH 4310 Algebraic Structures II
Upper-level Mathematics or Statistics course (3 hours)
Upper-level electives (12 hours)

Well, any feedback on the program at UALR would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to possibly enroll for the Spring 2009 or Summer 2009 semester if all goes well. Also, I understand that learning math entirely online will be a challenge, but I am willing to put in as much effort as required to earn my degree in math.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks commensurate to most of the schools around here.

Is there a "complex variables" or other lower level complex numbers course before the Complex Analysis?

Assuming 3-4 credit hours per course and beginning with Calc II as a freshman, you'll have up around 50 credit hours in Mathematics. I believe my alma mater (a private liberal arts college) required around 34 credit hours for a math major.

Most of the non-technical State schools where I'm from have you putting in around 40 hours minimum for a general Maths major.

Most colleges probably don't count "College Algebra" and "Trigonometry" as part of their math major requirements. Their degree programs begin with calculus, and it's assumed that students have studied algebra and trig in high school. So to compare the total number of hours at UALR with other schools, you should subtract (probably) six credit hours, assuming they use a semester system.

Cod, have you looked into the online math programs at the University of Illinois at Springfield?

Ken

thanks for arranging this aschedule

What is the purpose of "Mathematics Online" at University of Arkansas - Little Rock?

The purpose of "Mathematics Online" at University of Arkansas - Little Rock is to provide students with an accessible and convenient way to complete their mathematics courses. It offers a variety of online courses in math, ranging from introductory algebra to advanced calculus.

Are the online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock equivalent to on-campus courses?

Yes, the online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock are equivalent to on-campus courses. The same curriculum, assignments, and exams are used for both online and on-campus courses. The only difference is the mode of instruction - online courses are taught through virtual lectures, discussions, and assignments.

What are the technical requirements for taking online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock?

To take online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock, students will need access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. They will also need to have basic computer skills, such as navigating through a website and using word processing and spreadsheet software. Some courses may also require specific software or plugins, which will be specified in the course syllabus.

Can students interact with their instructors and classmates in online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock?

Yes, students can interact with their instructors and classmates in online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock. The university uses a variety of communication tools, such as discussion forums, video conferencing, and email, to facilitate interaction and collaboration between students and instructors.

Is there any additional cost for taking online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock?

No, there is no additional cost for taking online math courses at University of Arkansas - Little Rock. The tuition and fees for online courses are the same as for on-campus courses. However, students may need to purchase textbooks or other course materials, just like in traditional courses.