Traffic Shock Wave - Speed & Direction of Wave

If you put d=12 in the equation, the shock speed is infinity. A shock wave means that the 'news' of the slowdown is spreading backward/upstream at a finite speed. The answer to (b) is 2.5 m/s. The answer to (c) is negative, upstream. These are the speeds and direction of the shock front. The slow car is moving at 5 m/s, so the shock is approaching it at 2.5 m/s. The shock moves upstream when the initial speed of the cars is higher than the speed of the slow car. In this case, 25 m/s > 5 m/s.
Greychu
An abrupt slowdown in concentrated traffic can be travel as a pulse, termed a shock wave, along the line of cars, either downstream (in the traffic direction) or upstream, or it can be stationary. Figure below shows a uniform spaced line of car moving at speed v = 25.0 m/s toward a uniformly spaced line of slow cars moving at speed vs = 5 m/s. Assume that each faster car adds length L = 12.0 m (car plus buffer zone) to the line of slow car when it joins the line, and assume it slows abruptly at the last instant.

(a) For what separation distance d between the faster cars does the shock wave remain stationary?

If the separation is twice that amount, what are the

(b) Speed and
(c) Direction (upstream or downstream) of the shock wave?

For clearer detail, take a look on the attach files.

My works:

(a)

15 = [tex]\frac{d+nL}{\Delta t}[/tex] ... (1)
(average speed of the faster car before and after it join the line.

5 = [tex]\frac{nL}{\Delta t}[/tex] ... (2)

Suppose that at time = [tex]\Delta t[/tex], the faster car (closest to the slower car line) joins the slower car line, and it's speed decrease to 5 m/s.

(2) - (1) yields 10 = [tex]\frac{d}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The problem is I can't find a value of [tex]\Delta t[/tex], making the part (a) cannot be solved...

I need to know how to do part (a) so that I can do part (b) and (c) as well.

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html for more detail about traffic shock wave.

Attachments

• Traffic Shock Wave.doc
    30 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can post a pdf of your word doc you'll find more people willing to open it.

This is really a flux problem. If d is the distance between the incoming cars then the flux of cars coming in is (1car/d)*(25m/sec). The units of flux are cars/sec. The outgoing flux is (1car/12m)*(5m/sec). If the shock front is stationary, then incoming flux must equal outgoing flux. This is the principle of 'conservation of cars'.

Hey, Dick. If I followed according what u said, then the answer for part (a) is 60 m. So the speed of shock wave is actually the speed of the slower car right? As I do part (b), if I use the same way as part (a), I get answer of 2.5 m/s, which the shock wave will remain stationary...? I currently thinking about it.

Integral, u know how to convert a Words document into pdf document?

Greychu said:
Integral, u know how to convert a Words document into pdf document?

You have a private message

Why the incoming flux is not (1car/(d+12))*(25m/sec)? Imagine that faster car B join the line of slower car X, it travel d+12 m if the slower car X travel 12 m, and another faster car C replace the place of faster car B that all events happened at time of t.

stationary shock wave, so speed of shock wave = 0
Incoming flux = outgoing flux
(1/(d + 12))(25) = (1/12)(5)
d = 48 m

I think the flux u mean is qb and qa as in formula below, right?

vsw = (qb – qa)/(kb – ka)

Where
vsw = propagation velocity of shock wave (miles/hour)
qb = flow prior to change in conditions (vehicles/hour)
qa = flow after change in conditions (vehicles/hour)
kb = traffic density prior to change in conditions (vehicles/mile)
ka = traffic density after change in conditions (vehicles/mile)

Note the magnitude and direction of the shock wave.

(+) Shock wave is traveling in same direction as traffic stream.
(-) Shock wave is traveling upstream or against the traffic stream.

So can I use the above formula to solve part (b) and (c)?

Yes, the fluxes are the q's. And that equation looks correct. If d is the spacing of the cars before the shock wave, why would the flux be (1car/(d+12))*(25m/sec)? In front of the shock wave the cars don't necessarily even know there is a slowdown coming up. 12 is the spacing AFTER the slowdown.

Last edited:

What is a traffic shock wave?

A traffic shock wave is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a sudden interruption or decrease in the flow of traffic, causing a buildup of vehicles and resulting in a wave-like pattern of slow-moving or stopped cars.

What causes traffic shock waves?

Traffic shock waves are caused by a variety of factors such as accidents, construction, lane closures, and heavy traffic volume. These disruptions in the flow of traffic cause a ripple effect that can lead to a traffic shock wave.

How does the speed of a traffic shock wave affect traffic?

The speed of a traffic shock wave can greatly impact traffic flow. As the shock wave moves slower, it causes a buildup of vehicles behind it, resulting in slower overall traffic. However, if the shock wave moves faster, it can help to dissipate the buildup of vehicles and improve traffic flow.

What is the direction of a traffic shock wave?

The direction of a traffic shock wave is typically in the direction of the flow of traffic. It can also move in both directions if there are multiple disruptions in the flow of traffic, causing multiple shock waves to form.

How can traffic shock waves be mitigated?

Traffic shock waves can be mitigated by implementing strategies such as traffic management systems, variable speed limits, and ramp metering. These measures can help to regulate the flow of traffic and prevent the buildup of vehicles that lead to shock waves.