Singing Began in Fish, Perfected by Birds

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses how singing originated in lungfish, how bird song is consistently melodic, and how young birds learn to sing with help from their adult companions.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jan. 16, 2009 -- Fish aren't known for their impressive singing ability, although some can grunt and hum, yet singing originated in lungfish, according to new research that also determined how songbirds consistently produce melodious, sweet tunes...
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/01/16/bird-song-analysis.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Fish aren't known for their impressive singing ability …

uhh? :blushing:

:biggrin: we invented singing in the bath! :biggrin:

Fish aren't known for their impressive singing ability …

tiny-tim said:
uhh? :blushing:

:biggrin: we invented singing in the bath! :biggrin:

Hmm, if only PF had a fish and a bird among its members. We could have a contest and see who sings better!

From the article:
Jennifer Viegas said:
Riede, a researcher at the National Center for Voice and Speech, explained that young songbirds also "babble," producing sub-songs, before they create more varied "plastic" songs and then graduate to bird crooning perfection with their adult songs.

"Both babies and songbird chicks need a tutor or they don't pick up the adult version," he added. "Part of that learning is exercising motor patterns."

It's pretty cool to watch a young bird learn to sing. We have pet java rice finches, and one time we bought a young male that learned to sing from our older male. IIRC, it took a few weeks to a month to learn the complete song. Whenever the older bird sang during that period, the younger one would fly over and perch next to him, as if intently studying the master at work.

For a while in there the young bird even tried to sing like the European goldfinches we kept at the time, but it couldn't quite get it right.

Redbelly98 said:
Hmm, if only PF had a fish and a bird among its members. We could have a contest and see who sings better!

Are you aquatic? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Are you aquatic? :smile:

Hmmm, no. Could you come up and sit on this tree branch next to me? :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
Hmmm, no. Could you come up and sit on this tree branch next to me? :biggrin:

my singing is best appreciated …

underwater! :wink:

I'm forever blowing bubbles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DwUmamqsZE

Riede, a researcher at the National Center for Voice and Speech, explained that young songbirds also "babble," producing sub-songs, before they create more varied "plastic" songs and then graduate to bird crooning perfection with their adult songs.

"Both babies and songbird chicks need a tutor or they don't pick up the adult version," he added. "Part of that learning is exercising motor patterns."

That is not completely true. There are songbirds, such as the chaffinch, whose repertoire is largely inherited. Feedback from other birds still has influence, but even if it was in complete isolation from the beginning of his life, a male chaffinch could produce a song recognized by a female.

I'm also wary of the statement that birdsong is analogous to gulping for air in lungfish. This could or could not have any connection (although the article provides no explanation whatsoever). Will have to check the Journal of Comparative Physiology article when it's out.

catfish can sound like they're crying when you're skinning them. but i can't say've ever thought of it as anything more than a creepy accident of nature. I've certainly never noticed a catfish in an aquarium doing what i'd consider vocalizing.

Lame joke alert

Yes, but there is more than one way to skin a catfish.

lol, this is true. you might want to start with a hammer...

1. What is the theory behind "Singing Began in Fish, Perfected by Birds"?

The theory suggests that singing originated in fish as a form of communication, and was later perfected by birds through natural selection and evolution.

2. How do fish and birds produce sound for singing?

Fish produce sound by vibrating their swim bladders, while birds produce sound by vibrating their syrinx, a specialized vocal organ located at the base of their trachea.

3. Is there evidence to support this theory?

Yes, there is evidence from studies on the vocal abilities of fish and birds, as well as the evolutionary history of these species.

4. Can other animals besides fish and birds sing?

Yes, other animals such as insects, amphibians, and mammals also have the ability to produce sounds for communication, but they may not have the same level of complexity and variation as seen in fish and birds.

5. How does this theory impact our understanding of the evolution of vocal communication?

This theory challenges previous beliefs that singing evolved solely in birds and suggests that it may have originated much earlier in fish. It also highlights the importance of vocal communication in the evolution of species and the role of natural selection in shaping these abilities.