Quick Question - Can anyone help me with my astronomy report?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the M-sigma relationship, which explains the correlation between the mass of a black hole and the random velocities of objects in the core of galaxies. The person asking for help is a second-year physics student with limited knowledge in astronomy, and is struggling to find sources for an upcoming essay on this topic. They ask for suggestions and are directed to a starting point for their paper on a website and a reference link.
jeebs
Hi,

I have to write about 3000 words on the M-sigma relationship, about how the mass of a black hole is related to the random velocities of objects in the core of galaxies.

I'm not much of an astronomer, i am currently doing a physics degree (second year now) but i had to take a single module of astronomy this year. It's about galaxies and I am really bad at it, i have only the most basic knowledge of astronomical things.

I have one week to get this essay/report thing done and I am struggling to find good sources of information to base my report on. So, my question is, can you suggest any sites on the internet or any books that I could check out for information on this topic?

So far I have only been able to find a short wikipedia page that gave a very brief account of this so-called M-sigma relation. Any help anyone could give me on this would be fantastic, because there is no way in hell I can come up with 3000 words on this topic on my own in 8 days.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Start the paper, by briefly and simply examining the size of the Earth compared to the size of the universe, as it is understood to be today.

That should get the "creative" juices going for you.

For reference: http://flamewarrior.com/billions.htm

then "segway" into the main topic.

1. What is the purpose of your astronomy report?

The purpose of my astronomy report is to present information and findings related to a specific topic in astronomy, such as a particular celestial object or phenomenon.

2. What sources did you use to gather information for your report?

I used a variety of sources for my report, including scientific journals, books, reputable websites, and interviews with experts in the field of astronomy.

3. Can you give an overview of the structure of your report?

Sure, my report will have an introduction that provides background information on the topic, a main body that presents the information and findings, and a conclusion that summarizes the key points and implications of my research.

4. How did you ensure the accuracy and validity of your information?

I made sure to use reliable and credible sources and to cross-check information from multiple sources. I also consulted with experts in the field to verify the accuracy of my findings.

5. Is there any additional information or resources you can recommend for further reading on the topic?

Yes, I can recommend some additional sources such as documentaries, online courses, or other research papers that delve deeper into the topic. I can also suggest visiting a local planetarium or observatory for a hands-on learning experience.