QFT: Gauge Invariance, Ghosts, Symmetry & Lorentz Invariance

In summary, ghosts and gauge-fixing terms seem to break gauge invariance. The unitary gauge (where there are no ghosts or gauge-fixing terms) respects gauge invariance however.
RedX
When quantizing boson fields, ghosts and gauge-fixing terms seem to break gauge invariance. The unitary gauge (where there are no ghosts or gauge-fixing terms) respects gauge invariance however. So which is correct - is the Standard Model a gauge theory or not?

Sometimes I hear people speak about breaking Lorentz invariance. Does anyone have any idea what they mean? I think it has to do with CPT symmetry. There is a close relationship between CPT symmetry and Lorentz symmetry - one practically implies the other. So if CPT is broken, then I think that's where they are saying Lorentz symmetry is broken. Does this sound like pseudo-science, because Lorentz symmetry seems to be sacred?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any local quantum field theory that respects lorentz invariance and that has a bounded hamiltonian automatically respects CPT. Does the converse hold true? Certainly failure of CPT implies that you don't have a field theory and any such theory probably breaks lorentz invariance so that much I think is correct.

But does lorentz breaking imply a corresponding failure of CPT? I don't think so.

As for ghosts. We require that ghosts cancel at the end of calculation in order to have a consistent theory. When this fails to happen, it implies the theory is unstable and breaks unitarity at some point (probabilities don't add up to 1).

Haelfix said:
Any local quantum field theory that respects lorentz invariance and that has a bounded hamiltonian automatically respects CPT.
Let's say we have an interaction phi^\dagger phi^2. This respects Lorentz invariance. Does this respect CPT?

nrqed said:
Let's say we have an interaction phi^\dagger phi^2. This respects Lorentz invariance. Does this respect CPT?

The condition is Lorentz invariance and hermicity, so if you add its hermitian conjugate than it should. The bounded Hamiltonian I think is needed for thermodynamical reasons, but not quantum reasons.

Anyways, there is a particular gauge called the background field gauge that respects gauge invariance, but in order for that to happen, you have to set the boson field equal to the background field, and that is confusing to me as to why you can do that, so I thought I'd start by asking some simple questions about gauge invariance in general.

Thats a good catch, you definitely need hermiticity in the interaction hamiltonian in there (although that probably follows from other conditions if we shift the axioms around a bit, eg that the field theory is unitarity, that its built up from free fields as well as being bounded from below).

I think I read something about the possibility of using a nonhermitian hamiltonian once, but it was a little ackward and I didn't understand it.

What is gauge invariance in quantum field theory?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory that states that the physical predictions of a theory should not depend on the choice of gauge, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between particles. This means that the theory should be able to describe the same physical phenomena regardless of the specific mathematical formalism used.

What are ghosts in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, ghosts are mathematical entities that arise in certain theories with gauge invariance. They are known as "ghosts" because they do not correspond to any physical particles, but rather represent a redundancy in the theory's mathematical description. They are important for maintaining the gauge invariance of the theory, but they do not have any physical impact on the predictions of the theory.

How does symmetry play a role in quantum field theory?

Symmetry is a key concept in quantum field theory, as it allows us to describe the interactions between particles in a more elegant and efficient way. Symmetry principles, such as gauge invariance, help us to understand the underlying structure of a theory and make predictions about its behavior. In fact, many of the most successful theories in physics, such as the Standard Model, are based on symmetries.

What is Lorentz invariance in quantum field theory?

Lorentz invariance is the principle that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. In quantum field theory, this means that the equations describing the behavior of particles should be the same in all inertial reference frames. This is a crucial aspect of special relativity and is necessary for maintaining the consistency of the theory.

How does quantum field theory reconcile with general relativity?

Quantum field theory and general relativity are two of the most successful theories in physics, but they have not yet been fully reconciled. Quantum field theory describes the behavior of particles and their interactions at the microscopic level, while general relativity describes the behavior of gravity at the macroscopic level. Attempts to combine these theories have led to the development of theories such as string theory, which aim to provide a unified framework for understanding all fundamental forces in the universe.