> Wavelength range of Hydrocarbon spectral emissions

In summary, the NIST Hydrocarbon line database search utility shows that CH, CH2, and CH4 have emission lines in the range of 10^11 Hz, which corresponds to wavelengths outside of the visible region. Additionally, email addresses on this site can be hidden in profile settings to prevent spam.
textbooks
I was checking the NIST site with their Hydrocarbon line database
search utility, and the frequencies of the lines for CH, CH2, and CH4
are on the order of 10^11 Hz approximately. That leads to wavelengths
that are much larger than the visible region. Am I reading the search
results correctly, i.e., do these hydrocarbon molecules really have no
emission lines in the region 200 nm to 1000 nm?

Also, I've noticed that people who post here have their e-mail address
displayed as scrambled (to prevent spammers i guess). Is one's e-mail
address automatically displayed as scrambled or is there an option
somewhere to do that?

Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are reading the search results correctly. The hydrocarbon molecules you mentioned have no emission lines in the visible range of 200 nm to 1000 nm. Your email address will not be automatically displayed as scrambled. You can choose to hide your email address in your profile settings.

I can confirm that the NIST database shows the frequencies of the emission lines for CH, CH2, and CH4 to be on the order of 10^11 Hz, which corresponds to wavelengths larger than the visible region. This is because hydrocarbon molecules typically emit in the infrared region due to the nature of their molecular bonds. Therefore, it is correct that there are no emission lines in the region of 200 nm to 1000 nm.

Regarding the display of email addresses, it is likely that the platform automatically scrambles them to prevent spam. I would suggest checking the settings or options of the platform to see if there is an option to unscramble your email address.

What is the wavelength range of Hydrocarbon spectral emissions?

The wavelength range of hydrocarbon spectral emissions varies depending on the specific type of hydrocarbon and the conditions in which it is observed. However, most hydrocarbons emit light in the infrared range, with wavelengths between 2.5 to 20 micrometers.

What causes Hydrocarbon spectral emissions?

Hydrocarbon spectral emissions are caused by the excitation of electrons in the molecules of hydrocarbons. When these electrons absorb energy, they become excited and jump to a higher energy state. As they return to their original state, they release this excess energy in the form of light, which can be observed as spectral emissions.

How are Hydrocarbon spectral emissions used in scientific research?

Hydrocarbon spectral emissions are used in a variety of scientific research, including atmospheric studies, remote sensing, and environmental monitoring. They can also be used to identify and analyze different types of hydrocarbons, such as in oil and gas exploration.

Can Hydrocarbon spectral emissions be harmful to humans?

In general, hydrocarbon spectral emissions are not harmful to humans as they occur in the infrared range, which is not visible to the naked eye. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of hydrocarbon emissions can potentially cause respiratory and other health issues.

Are Hydrocarbon spectral emissions affected by external factors?

Yes, the wavelength range and intensity of hydrocarbon spectral emissions can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other gases. These factors can alter the energy levels of the electrons in the molecules, resulting in a change in the emitted wavelengths and intensity of the spectral emissions.