How do we breathe from nose when we eat?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the epiglottis closes when we eat in order to prevent food from entering our airway. However, we can still eat with our mouth closed because we don't need to breathe while swallowing. This is an advantage for herbivores who need to chew their food for extended periods of time. It is possible to breathe and swallow at the same time, but it can lead to choking and is not recommended. Infants can do this up to 6 months of age, but adults with conditions like COPD may have difficulty.
sameeralord
If the epiglottis closes when we eat how come we can eat food with our mouth closed, how can we breathe then. Obviously this can be done so I'm missing something. Please help Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
You don't breathe when you swallow.

Blenton said:

Thanks.Overthinking as usual by me :smile:

This appears to me to be a significant advantage, especially for herbivores. The ability to chew and not restrict breathing allows for the crushing of the food over extended periods of time.

Blenton said:

I have unwillingly tried this many times and doing both at the same time leads to (near) choking. I am obviously still alive, so one might claim that "it worked" but I guess this is due to the two processes somehow organising themselves sequentially after a bit of a "bottleneck" (the choking).

Warning: I don't recommend you try this at home!

My daughter's pediatrician told me that infants can breathe and swallow at the same time, up to about 6 months of age.

I have to be extremely careful, with the COPD. Frequently I have to breathe through my mouth while chewing. It's really tricky to get the air past the food without inhaling something solid.

lisab said:
My daughter's pediatrician told me that infants can breathe and swallow at the same time, up to about 6 months of age.

Definitely true. They'd suffocate while breastfeeding otherwise.

CRGreathouse said:
Definitely true. They'd suffocate while breastfeeding otherwise.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer as a test subject for that.

1. How does breathing through the nose affect eating?

When we breathe through our nose while eating, the air we inhale is filtered, warmed, and humidified by the tiny hairs and mucous membranes in our nasal passages. This helps to protect our lungs and respiratory system from any potential irritants or particles that may be present in the air. Additionally, breathing through the nose while eating can enhance our sense of taste and smell, making the food more enjoyable.

2. Can we breathe through our nose and mouth at the same time while eating?

Technically, yes, we can breathe through both our nose and mouth at the same time while eating. However, it is not necessary to do so. Our nose and mouth are both connected to the same respiratory system and serve the same purpose of bringing oxygen into our bodies. Breathing through the nose is generally preferred as it helps to protect our respiratory system and can enhance our senses while eating.

3. Is it bad to breathe through our mouth when eating?

Breathing through our mouth while eating is not necessarily bad, but it is not the most ideal way to breathe. Our nose is designed to filter the air and protect our respiratory system, so breathing through our mouth can potentially allow larger particles or irritants to enter our bodies. Additionally, breathing through our mouth while eating can lead to swallowing more air, which can cause discomfort or bloating.

4. What happens if we accidentally breathe food into our nose while eating?

Accidentally inhaling food into our nose while eating is a common occurrence, but it can be quite uncomfortable. When this happens, our body's natural response is to sneeze or cough in order to expel the food particles from our nose. It may also cause temporary inflammation or irritation in the nasal passages, but this usually subsides quickly.

5. Can breathing through our nose while eating help with digestion?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that breathing through our nose while eating directly affects digestion. However, as mentioned earlier, breathing through the nose can enhance our sense of taste and smell, making the eating experience more enjoyable. This can indirectly improve digestion by stimulating the release of saliva and digestive enzymes, which aid in the breakdown of food.