A question about condensation of water

In summary, when a near 0°C water is put in a room temperature glass, some water in the air condensates over the glass. This is due to the water present in the air having more energy than liquid water.
fluidistic
Gold Member
When I put a near 0°C water in a glass which is at room temperature (around 25-30°C), some water in air (humidity) condensate over the glass. That's what I believe.

I understand this like, the water present in the air as gas has molecules with more energy (kinetic, but overall?) than liquid water. When these fast molecules hit the "cold" glass, they transmit a lot of their energy and hence they change their phase from gas to liquid. Again, that's what I believe. (point me out if I'm wrong)

But why don't it happen even if the glass is at room temperature? In other words, why the water present in the air doesn't condensate on everything? Why the water that evaporates doesn't condensate on any object? I guess it does but much less than if the object is cold, which I can understand, but I can't understand the proportion. By this I mean, I can't understand why a glass at 0°C is much, much, much, much cooler than a glass at 20°C for the water vapor.

Is there any mathematical formula I can look at?
Thanks in advance... I'm bothered by that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Water condenses on an object who'se temperature is less than the dew point of the ambient air. The dew point is the temperature at which the air can no longer hold the moisture in it and the moisture starts to condense. So the object cools the air adjacent to it down to the dew point, causing water to condense and the only place for the condensed water to go is to stick to the object.

This phenomena can be analyzed on a psychrometric chart: http://www.fao.org/docrep/s1250e/S1250EEW.GIF

Thank you very much for the explanation and the link to the chart.
:smile:

1. What is condensation of water?

Condensation of water is the process in which water vapor in the air is converted back into liquid water. This occurs when water vapor cools and changes back into its liquid state, forming water droplets on surfaces such as windows, mirrors, or grass.

2. What are the conditions necessary for condensation to occur?

Condensation requires a temperature drop in the air, reaching the dew point where the air can no longer hold all of its water vapor. This is often accompanied by a decrease in air pressure, which further facilitates the conversion of water vapor into liquid water.

3. How does condensation impact the water cycle?

Condensation is an essential part of the water cycle. It contributes to the formation of clouds and precipitation, which are necessary for the distribution of water on Earth. Without condensation, the water cycle would be disrupted, leading to droughts and other extreme weather events.

4. What factors can influence the rate of condensation?

The rate of condensation can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, humidity, air pressure, and the presence of particles or surfaces for water droplets to form on. Higher temperatures and humidity levels can slow down the rate of condensation, while lower temperatures and humidity levels can speed it up.

5. How can condensation be prevented or controlled?

Condensation can be controlled by controlling the temperature and humidity levels in a space. For example, using a dehumidifier or opening windows can lower humidity levels and reduce the amount of condensation. Additionally, insulating surfaces can prevent them from reaching the dew point and forming condensation.