2 Q's: Inline LaTeX and Subscribed Thread Notice.

In summary, the extra space is there because the inline LaTeX image is a little taller than a line of text.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

I was just wondering why paragraphs containing inline LaTeX have extra line breaks or line spaces after the line containing the TeX image?

I was also wondering why I don't always see new posts in threads I've subscribed to in "My PF" unless if I click on the link to see all subscribed threads. Do posts eventually expire so that they aren't considered "new" anymore (even if I haven't read them yet)?

Thanks,

cepheid

Physics news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
I was just wondering why paragraphs containing inline LaTeX have extra line breaks or line spaces after the line containing the TeX image?

Hi cepheid! :smile:

I think it's because the new "inline" LaTeX images are slightly taller than a line, and so take up part of the next line, which therefore has to be left out.

(i don't think that used to happen, but the LaTeX used to be a bit difficult to read when it was smaller)

Oh, you mean why there's extra space under the line with [itex]inceptos[/itex] here?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec a aliquet nisl. Duis venenatis bibendum sapien, a blandit lectus viverra sit amet. Donec augue sapien, varius ac tincidunt nec, semper sed magna. Phasellus et elit sapien, ut consequat turpis. Maecenas lacus turpis, posuere sit amet facilisis vitae, dictum sit amet velit. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per [itex]inceptos[/itex] himenaeos. Maecenas purus ante, aliquam nec venenatis et, suscipit sed leo. Pellentesque eget purus odio. Phasellus sagittis nisi ac purus semper ac aliquam dolor ultricies. Mauris quis metus lectus. Mauris libero ligula, tincidunt vel pharetra sed, lacinia sit amet augue.
Yeah, as tiny-tim mentioned, the inline LaTeX images are a little taller than a line of text using the default font size, and in a web browser, the height of a line is determined by the tallest thing in it. Although in a lot of cases, there's some extra space at the bottom of the LaTeX image that could be trimmed off.

1. What is Inline LaTeX and how is it used?

Inline LaTeX is a feature that allows users to input mathematical equations and symbols into a text-based document or forum post. It is used by placing the LaTeX code within two dollar signs ($$) and can be used in various platforms, such as email, forums, and text editors.

2. Can Inline LaTeX be used in all types of documents?

No, Inline LaTeX is primarily used in text-based documents and forums. It may not be supported in all platforms, so it is important to check the guidelines or instructions for each specific platform before using it.

3. What is a Subscribed Thread Notice?

A Subscribed Thread Notice is a feature that allows users to receive notifications when there are new replies or updates to a specific thread or discussion. This allows users to stay updated on conversations and topics that they are interested in.

4. How do I subscribe to a thread or discussion?

To subscribe to a thread or discussion, look for a subscribe or follow button within the platform. Clicking this button will enable notifications for that specific discussion, and you will receive updates when there are new replies or comments.

5. Can I unsubscribe from a thread or discussion?

Yes, you can unsubscribe from a thread or discussion at any time by clicking the unsubscribe or unfollow button within the platform. This will stop any notifications from that specific discussion from appearing in your notifications or inbox.