Can a position vs time graph be perfectly horizontal or vertical?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a perfectly vertical or horizontal position vs time graph in relation to an animal's movement. It was concluded that a perfectly horizontal graph is possible if the animal is standing still, but a perfectly vertical graph is not possible as it would imply the object being in infinitely many positions at the same time, which is impossible. The conversation also highlighted the importance of understanding the slope of a position vs time graph as it represents the velocity of the object.
caseyd1981
I know this is going to sound easy, but I cannot find the answer anywhere..

We had a quiz today in my physics class, and one of the questions was a True/False question that stated that it is impossible for a position vs time graph of some animal to be perfectly vertical or perfectly horizontal.

We had just been told in our lecture that the velocity on a velocity vs time graph could not be vertical and I was tempted to answer True. But...could a position vs time graph of an object not be perfectly horizontal if the object was just standing still?

I answered False...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would agree that the position vs. time graph for an animal can be perfectly horizontal if the animal is standing still especially if the animal is road kill.

What do you think a perfectly vertical line implies? Can that happen for an animal?

Great! I hope I got it right then...I have no clue what a vertical line would imply? Is there such a thing? It seems to me that the object would have to be in 2 positions at the same time, which is impossible.

And thanks for your help!

caseyd1981 said:
...I have no clue what a vertical line would imply? Is there such a thing? It seems to me that the object would have to be in 2 positions at the same time, which is impossible.

More correctly, it means that the object would have to be in infinitely many positions at the same time, not just 2. The point of this question is to help you realize that the slope of the x vs t plot is the velocity of the object. "Horizontal" means zero slope, therefore zero velocity. "Vertical" means infinite slope, therefore infinite velocity.

1. What is a position vs time graph?

A position vs time graph is a graphical representation of an object's position at different points in time. The position is shown on the y-axis while time is shown on the x-axis.

2. How do you interpret a position vs time graph?

To interpret a position vs time graph, you need to look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a faster speed, while a flatter slope indicates a slower speed. The direction of the line also tells you the direction of the object's motion.

3. What does a horizontal line on a position vs time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a position vs time graph indicates that the object is not moving. This means that the object is at a constant position and time is passing by.

4. How do you calculate velocity from a position vs time graph?

Velocity can be calculated from a position vs time graph by finding the slope of the line. The slope represents the change in position over the change in time, which is the definition of velocity.

5. How does acceleration affect a position vs time graph?

Acceleration can be seen on a position vs time graph as a change in the slope of the line. A positive acceleration results in a steeper slope, while a negative acceleration results in a flatter slope. A horizontal line on a position vs time graph indicates that the object is not accelerating.