Finding Surface area using Newton's Law

In summary, Newton's Law of cooling is a mathematical equation, dQ/dt=-kA(T-Ts), that relates the rate of heat loss of a body to its surface area, temperature, and surroundings. It can be applied in practical examples such as calculating the time of death or cooling food. It is also possible to use this law to find the surface area of an object, with the value of the constant k being related to the surface area and heat capacity of the object. However, obtaining an accurate value for the constant h in the convection coefficient can be challenging and often requires knowledge of fluid dynamics.
maccaman
As part of a homework assignment, I am required to research Newton's Law of Cooling and evaluate it with three practical examples. One must be time of death. So far i have created a time of death example, and used an example to cool food. However the last one i heard someone say is that you could use Newton's Law of cooling to find the surface area of the object that is under question. I have also read that this has something to do with the value of the constant k. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that much about this subject and I do not have a book at hand for formulas, but maybe this will help:

Newtons law of cooling is something like: dQ/dt=-kA(T-Ts) with k the "heat conduction coefficiënt" or something, A the surface area, T the temperature of the body in question and Ts the temperature of the surrounding.

If you use: dQ=CdT (C the heat capacity) you get: dT/dt=(-kA/C)(T-Ts) with the (only initially! correct) solution: T(t)=Ts+(T0-Ts)e^-(kA/C)t by applying the appropriate boundary conditions.

So the 'k' in your other question (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=38534) is something like kA/C. So by studying the cooling of an object you can get information about it's surface area by using the formulas above

I know the solution of the differential equation above is only an approximate solution. But maybe the equation in your other post itself isn't much more than that. Anybody care to help some more...?!

maccaman said:
However the last one i heard someone say is that you could use Newton's Law of cooling to find the surface area of the object that is under question. I have also read that this has something to do with the value of the constant k. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Of course. Do you ever have heard to talk about the use of fins like heat dissipators?. If q=A*h*(T-Ts) where:

A=surface area of convection;
h=convection coefficient ( I advise you to name it as I have done).
T=surface temperature;
Ts=surroundings temperature
q=thermal power exchanged,

Thus, if q, T, Ts and h are known, A could be calculated. You should know Newton's Law talk to us of another mechanism of heat transfer: the convection. Heat Convection is a function of the area of exchange. To completely understand the convection mechanism you must know something about Fluid Dynamics. The constant of convection h is a very hard variable of computing. If you advance in the future in this topic you will fight a lot in order to obtain an accurate value of h. Usually engineers calculate it with correlations that emphazises in one experiment in concrete. But other brave folks calculate h solving the Navier Stokes equations over the external flow.

1. What is Newton's Law and how is it related to finding surface area?

Newton's Law, also known as the Law of Cooling, states that the rate of heat loss of an object is proportional to the difference in temperature between the object and its surroundings. This law can be applied to finding surface area by measuring the rate of cooling of an object with a known surface area and using it to calculate the surface area of an unknown object.

2. What tools or equipment are needed to use Newton's Law to find surface area?

The main equipment needed to use Newton's Law to find surface area are a thermometer, a heating source, and an object with a known surface area. Optional equipment that may be helpful include a stopwatch, a ruler, and a calculator.

3. Are there any limitations to using Newton's Law to find surface area?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Newton's Law to find surface area. One limitation is that the object must have a uniform surface temperature to accurately apply the law. Another limitation is that the surrounding temperature and humidity must remain constant during the experiment. Additionally, this method may not be accurate for objects with complex shapes or irregular surfaces.

4. Can Newton's Law be used for all types of objects?

No, Newton's Law may not be suitable for all types of objects. It is best applied to objects with a relatively simple shape and a uniform surface temperature. Objects with complex shapes or irregular surfaces may not provide accurate results.

5. What are the benefits of using Newton's Law to find surface area?

One of the main benefits of using Newton's Law to find surface area is that it is a simple and relatively inexpensive method. It also does not require any advanced mathematical calculations, making it accessible for students and scientists of all levels. Additionally, it can provide a quick and accurate estimate of surface area for certain types of objects.