Trace an IP in a Yahoo Chat Room?

In summary, it is highly unlikely that someone can put an IP trace on you through a Yahoo chat room without hacking into Yahoo's servers. Even if they were able to obtain your IP address, they would only be able to locate you to a general area, not your specific location. An anonymizer can also be used to hide your IP address when sending emails. However, if you are directly connected to someone during a chat, you may be able to see their IP address through a file transfer or by using the command "netstat -a" in a shell.
z4955
is there any way for someone to put an ip trace on you from a yahoo chat room i.e. public game chat room?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Very unlikely without hacking into Yahoo. Their servers are going to strip out that kind of information when relaying your messages to other people.

- Warren

that's good to know since someone threatened to do an ip trace on someone I know and was concerned

What are they going to do with an IP address anyway? :rofl: Script kiddies...

- Warren

they want to find out where we are located

I know they can get your ip from email but if you don't email or use messenger there is no way they can get your ip?

It's possible to locate you with a fairly specific location (say, a city) by IP, but not down to an individual house or anything.

You could also just send your email through an anonymizer.

- Warren

what is an anonymizer and how do you use it?

It's a public mail server that strips off the information relevant to the sender before passing it on. Do your own googling.

- Warren

thx.. thinking maybe the ip trace thing was just a bluff then

Unless you live in a large city, chances are your IP is going to route to the nearest largest city. This is usually the case with dialup internet access, and sometimes Cable. DSL is more localized.

try doing a tracert on yourself and see where the packets all get routed.

Try this applet http://www.visualroute.pl

By the way, if you somehow "directly connect" to someone you are chatting with, you might be able to see their IP address if you do a "netstat -a" in a shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ eg, file transfer

1. How do I trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room?

To trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room, you can use a third-party IP tracking tool or a network monitoring software. These tools will allow you to view the IP addresses of all users in the chat room.

2. Why would I want to trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room?

Tracing an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room can be useful for identifying the location or identity of a specific user. It can also help track down potential cyber criminals who may be using the chat room for illegal activities.

3. Is it legal to trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room?

Yes, it is legal to trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room as long as you are not violating any privacy laws or using the information for malicious purposes. It is important to use this information responsibly and ethically.

4. Can I trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room without any special tools?

No, you will need to use a third-party IP tracking tool or network monitoring software to trace an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room. These tools have the capability to capture and display IP addresses of users in real-time.

5. Are there any limitations to tracing an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room?

Yes, there are some limitations to tracing an IP address in a Yahoo Chat Room. Some users may be using virtual private networks (VPNs) or proxy servers, which can mask their actual IP address. Additionally, some chat rooms may have strict privacy policies that prohibit IP tracing.