Finite Subset Max in Set S: Proof

In summary, a Finite Subset Max in set S refers to the maximum value that can be obtained by selecting a finite number of elements from the set S. To prove its existence, a finite subset of S can be constructed and shown to have the same maximum value. This is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. The Finite Subset Max in set S cannot be equal to infinity and is always unique.
invisible_man
Let S be a set on which a linear order <= (less or equal) , is defined. Show that a non-empty finite subset has a max.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework problem all right.

You didn't say it, but I assume you're looking for help? What have you done (successful or not), and where are you stuck?

This is not really my homework assignment. It's my practice exam. I don't know how to do it

Induction?

I can confirm that the statement is true. In order to prove this, we must first understand the definitions of a set, linear order, and max. A set is a collection of distinct objects, while a linear order is a relation that satisfies the properties of reflexivity, transitivity, and antisymmetry. A max is the largest element in a set according to the given linear order.

Now, let us consider a non-empty finite subset, denoted as A, of the set S. Since A is finite, it contains a finite number of elements, say n. We can list out the elements of A as a1, a2, a3, ..., an.

According to the definition of a linear order, for any two elements ai and aj in A, either ai <= aj or aj <= ai. This means that there is always a well-defined ordering among the elements of A.

Now, let us consider the set of all possible values of the elements of A. Since A is finite, this set is also finite. Let us denote this set as B. Since B is finite, it has a maximum element, denoted as bmax.

According to the definition of a max, bmax must be greater than or equal to all elements of A. In other words, bmax >= ai for all i from 1 to n.

Now, we have two cases to consider:

Case 1: If bmax belongs to A, then it is the max of A.

Case 2: If bmax does not belong to A, then we can consider a new set A' = A U {bmax}. Since bmax is greater than or equal to all elements of A, it is also greater than or equal to all elements of A'. Therefore, bmax is the max of A'.

In either case, we have shown that a non-empty finite subset of a set S with a defined linear order has a max. This completes the proof.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I can confirm that a non-empty finite subset of a set with a defined linear order always has a max. This has important implications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and economics, where the concept of a max is frequently used.

1. What is a "Finite Subset Max" in set S?

A Finite Subset Max in set S refers to the maximum value that can be obtained by selecting a finite number of elements from the set S. This maximum value is determined by finding the largest element in the selected subset of S.

2. How do you prove the existence of a Finite Subset Max in set S?

To prove the existence of a Finite Subset Max in set S, we need to show that a finite subset of S can be constructed such that the maximum value in that subset is equal to the Finite Subset Max in set S. This can be done through various methods such as using induction, contradiction, or direct proof.

3. What is the importance of proving the existence of a Finite Subset Max in set S?

The existence of a Finite Subset Max in set S is important because it allows us to determine the maximum value that can be obtained by selecting a finite number of elements from set S. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems and decision-making processes.

4. Can the Finite Subset Max in set S be equal to infinity?

No, the Finite Subset Max in set S cannot be equal to infinity. This is because it is defined as the maximum value that can be obtained by selecting a finite number of elements from set S. Since infinity is not a finite number, it cannot be the Finite Subset Max in set S.

5. Is the Finite Subset Max in set S unique?

Yes, the Finite Subset Max in set S is unique. This is because the largest element in a set is always unique. Therefore, the subset of S that contains the largest element will also be unique, resulting in a unique Finite Subset Max in set S.