Satellite Tracking-Stepper Motor

In summary, the speaker is looking to use a unipolar stepper motor to move a satellite receiver to any geostationary satellite orbiting. They want to operate the motor at low speeds and are wondering what rated motor can handle a satellite load of 5-8kg. They also mention using a worm gear for motion and ask if telescope methods can be used.
vengeful
Hey everyone: I have the following problem: as the title suggests I need to be able to move my satellite receiver to any geostationary satellite orbiting. I want to use a unipolar stepper motor and either half step, or I might Microstep the motor to get more accuracy. I am looking to operate it at very low speeds.

The motor will be oriented horizontally, and a worm gear or any other type of gear will be used to get the 360' motion. What I would like to know what rated motor should I get that can handle the satellite load of about 5-8kg?

The attached file is a basic diagram of the orientation of the motor.

Attachments

• DiagramStep.JPG
    DiagramStep.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 426
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is satellite tracking and how does it work?

Satellite tracking is the process of monitoring and following the path of a satellite as it orbits the Earth. This is accomplished through the use of a tracking system, which includes a stepper motor that controls the movement of the antenna. The tracking system receives signals from the satellite and uses the stepper motor to adjust the position of the antenna to maintain a consistent connection.

2. What is a stepper motor and how does it function in satellite tracking?

A stepper motor is a type of electric motor that rotates in small, precise increments. In satellite tracking, the stepper motor is responsible for controlling the movement of the antenna to keep it aligned with the satellite. It receives signals from the tracking system and rotates the antenna to the correct position, ensuring a continuous connection with the satellite.

3. How accurate is satellite tracking with a stepper motor?

The accuracy of satellite tracking with a stepper motor depends on several factors, including the quality of the tracking system and the type of stepper motor being used. In general, stepper motors are highly accurate and can make very fine adjustments, making them well-suited for satellite tracking applications.

4. Can stepper motors be used for tracking multiple satellites simultaneously?

Yes, stepper motors can be used for tracking multiple satellites simultaneously. This is achieved through the use of a multi-axis tracking system, which can control the movement of multiple stepper motors to track different satellites at the same time. This is a common practice in satellite communication and navigation systems.

5. What are the benefits of using stepper motors for satellite tracking?

Stepper motors offer several benefits for satellite tracking, including high accuracy, precise control, and reliable performance. They are also relatively easy to integrate into tracking systems and can be used for both single and multi-axis tracking. Additionally, they are durable and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective choice for satellite tracking applications.