Projection and Inclusion in Higher-Dimensional Spaces: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter FreHam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a projection and an inclusion map from a space with coordinates (x,y,z,t) to a space with coordinates (x,y,z), and whether they are each other's inverses. It is noted that the inclusion map is not well-defined and does not have an inverse due to the infinite number of (x,y,z,t) that map to the same (x,y,z). The possibility of defining a map from a lower-dimensional space to a higher one is also considered, with the terms embedding, immersion, and inclusion being suggested as possible ways to refer to such a map. It is also mentioned that in certain cases, the map may be considered a symplectization of a contact manifold.
FreHam
Hi,

Suppose I have a space X with coordinates (x,y,z) and a space Y with coordinates (x,y,z,t), so that dim(Y)=dim(X)+1.

What is the difference between the projection (x,y,z,t)->(x,y,z) and the inclusion (x,y,z)->(x,y,z,t)? Are they each others inverses? Especially if x=x(t), y=y(t) and z=z(t)?

I'm really stuck somehow.

Cheers,

Fred.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "the difference between" (x, y, z, t)-> (x, y, z) and (x, y, z)->(x, y, z, t). Obviously one is from R4 to R3 and the other is from R3 to R4.

However, the second one is not well defined since there is no way of knowing what t to append to (x, y, z). No, they are not inverse to one another. There exist an infinite number of (x, y, z, t) that map to the same (x, y, z) so the function is not "one to one" and does not have an inverse.

If you specify that x, y, and z are functions of t, you still have a problem- (x(t), y(t), z(t), t)- > (x, y, z) does NOT map R4 to R3, it maps a one-dimensional subset of R4 onto a one dimensional subset of R3. Also, trying to go from (x, y, z) to (x(t), y(t), z(t), t), a given triple, (x, y, z) may contain x, y, z, values that correspond to different values of t.

Is there then a possibility to define a map from the lower-dimensional space to the higher one? I'm basically considering time-dependent systems on a (2n+1)-dimensional contact manifold T*Q x R, and I want to include/embed (don't know what term to use) in a (2n+2)-dimensional symplectic manifold. The coordinates on T*Q x R are (q,p,t) and on the symplectic one (q,p,q',p'), where the primes denote some additional coordinates. Basically, q'=t but of some new time parameter, say s.

Yes, but not "onto". You could have a linear map that maps a space of dimension n to an n-dimensional subspace of a space of dimension m (n< m). That maps the n dimensional space into the m dimensional space.

So, do I get this right: you can only call a map from X to Y an inclusion if dim(X)=dim(Y)? How would you call a map from a lower-dimensional space to a higher-dimensional space? Embedding? Immersion? Inclusion? ...?

I'm not sure whether my case would actually be a symplectization of a contact manifold... hmm.

What is projection?

Projection is a psychological phenomenon in which an individual unconsciously attributes their own thoughts, feelings, and motives onto another person or object.

What is inclusion?

Inclusion is the practice of ensuring that all individuals, regardless of their differences, feel valued and respected within a group or society.

What is the difference between projection and inclusion?

The main difference between projection and inclusion is that projection is an individual's internal psychological process, while inclusion is a social and cultural practice that involves creating a sense of belonging for all individuals.

How can projection impact relationships?

Projection can negatively impact relationships by causing misunderstandings, conflicts, and a lack of empathy. It can also lead to feelings of resentment or defensiveness in both parties.

Why is inclusion important?

Inclusion is important because it promotes diversity, equality, and a sense of belonging for all individuals. It can also lead to better communication, collaboration, and overall well-being within a group or society.