Stable or not stable equilibrium

In summary: I got the answer.In summary, the potential energy for stable equilibrium is when the torque about the point of contact is zero.
Shackleford
Clearly, I need to look at the potential function and differentiate it to determine extreme and then the stability of the extrema. However, I'm not sure how to do this mathematically at the moment.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-14203321.jpg?t=1284516380

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? You don't know how to take two derivatives, or you don't know how to set the problem up?

Mindscrape said:
What do you mean? You don't know how to take two derivatives, or you don't know how to set the problem up?

Sorry. How to setup the problem. The potential in this case would be gravitational and the height is 2R.

Not quite, you want the height to the center of mass of the square (the middle of the square). Do you see why?

Mindscrape said:
Not quite, you want the height to the center of mass of the square (the middle of the square). Do you see why?

Well, for stable equilibrium, you don't want there to be a torque on the cylinder from the effective gravitational force on the block. If the gravitational force is directed downwards, there will be a normal force from the cylinder. I assume this is Newton's Third Law.

Well, assume that the cylinder is fixed in place it's attached by a screw to a metal table, and that the cylinder is extremely, extremely rough, such that it will not slide off the cylinder. All you are looking at now is at what angle from the center of the cylinder will cause the square's center of mass to fall.

Mindscrape said:
Well, assume that the cylinder is fixed in place it's attached by a screw to a metal table, and that the cylinder is extremely, extremely rough, such that it will not slide off the cylinder. All you are looking at now is at what angle from the center of the cylinder will cause the square's center of mass to fall.

The force would be mg sin(theta). The negative of the force equals the gradient of the potential. In this case it would be U(theta). I'll integrate the effective gravitational force.

You'll still want to make a potential function, but you might want to consider making a potential like this

[tex]U(\theta)=mg*h(\theta)[/tex]

You'll want to figure how the height of the center of mass varies with theta.

Mindscrape said:
You'll still want to make a potential function, but you might want to consider making a potential like this

[tex]U(\theta)=mg*h(\theta)[/tex]

You'll want to figure how the height of the center of mass varies with theta.

Dammit. What I had is not right. I'm tired. That's not helping.

R cos(theta) + (b/2) cos(theta)

Yeah, that's pretty close, but you need one last little bit. Make a really huge picture and you'll see.

[tex]h(\theta)=(R+b/2)cos(\theta)+R\theta sin(\theta)[/tex]

Voila, you're on your way.

Mindscrape said:
Yeah, that's pretty close, but you need one last little bit. Make a really huge picture and you'll see.

[tex]h(\theta)=(R+b/2)cos(\theta)+R\theta sin(\theta)[/tex]

Voila, you're on your way.

My big picture helped me see the first term R cos(theta) + (b/2) cos(theta). lol. I don't see the second term R*theta*sin(theta).

I almost missed it too. :)

Mindscrape said:
I almost missed it too. :)

Well, I missed it! lol.

I'm pretty sure the homework is due today, too. There's one problem where I need to do a numerical calculation, but I don't know if I have access to one. The only program I used very briefly was MathLab in my ODE class last fall.

Differentiate the potential energy seems to be quite long in this problem. Why don't you try dynamics analysis? Let the cube move away from the equilibrium position by a very small angle. If the torque of gravitational force about the point of contact tends to make the cube move back to the equilibrium position, it's stable equilibrium; otherwise, it's unstable.
Consider the case that the cube is at the critical angle (i.e. the angle right between stable and unstable equilibrium). In this case, gravitational force lies in the line joining the cube's center of mass and the point of contact. Notice that this is a very small angle. From here, you can calculate the condition of that critical case, and thus, deduce the conditions for stable and unstable equilibrium.

hikaru1221 said:
Differentiate the potential energy seems to be quite long in this problem. Why don't you try dynamics analysis? Let the cube move away from the equilibrium position by a very small angle. If the torque of gravitational force about the point of contact tends to make the cube move back to the equilibrium position, it's stable equilibrium; otherwise, it's unstable.
Consider the case that the cube is at the critical angle (i.e. the angle right between stable and unstable equilibrium). In this case, gravitational force lies in the line joining the cube's center of mass and the point of contact. Notice that this is a very small angle. From here, you can calculate the condition of that critical case, and thus, deduce the conditions for stable and unstable equilibrium.

The professor worked it out today the same way we did. He immediately caught that little third height.

Shackleford said:
The professor worked it out today the same way we did. He immediately caught that little third height.

Well, that's just my suggestion for a more elegant, natural and easy-to-visualize way :smile:

hikaru1221 said:
Well, that's just my suggestion for a more elegant, natural and easy-to-visualize way :smile:

Hmm. I wasn't quite following you, honestly. Wouldn't the torque from the gravitational force always move it away from equilibrium? For your critical case, how would the gravitational force lie in the line connecting the center of mass with the point of contact?

1. What is the difference between stable and unstable equilibrium?

Stable equilibrium is a state in which a system returns to its original position after being disturbed. Unstable equilibrium, on the other hand, is a state in which a system does not return to its original position after being disturbed and instead moves further away.

2. How can you determine if an equilibrium is stable or unstable?

An equilibrium is stable if it satisfies the condition that the derivative of the potential energy with respect to the position is positive. If the derivative is negative, the equilibrium is unstable.

3. Can an equilibrium point be both stable and unstable?

No, an equilibrium point can only be either stable or unstable. It cannot be both at the same time.

4. What are some real-life examples of stable equilibrium?

A pendulum at rest, a ball in a bowl, and a book on a flat surface are all examples of stable equilibrium. In each of these scenarios, if the object is disturbed, it will return to its original position.

5. How does stable equilibrium play a role in everyday life?

Stable equilibrium is essential for the stability and functioning of many systems in everyday life. For example, it is crucial for the balance and stability of our bodies while standing, walking, or sitting. It also plays a role in the stability of structures such as buildings and bridges.