Finding Acceleration Using x=1/2 at2+v0t+x0 Equation | Homework Help

• Thread starter GodAllen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses trying to find the acceleration of a dropped object using a given equation x=1/2 at2+v0t +x0 and given values of v0t=0 and x0=0. However, there is some discrepancy in the results due to a faulty time measurement. The correct calculation for acceleration is given as 9.8 m/s/s, but the calculated value is incorrect due to an incorrect time measurement. It is suggested that the starting height may have been different than initially thought, leading to the incorrect time measurement. Overall, it is concluded that the given data and equation may not be sufficient to accurately determine the acceleration of the object.
GodAllen

Homework Statement

Is this equation any good for finding a

x=1/2 at2+v0t +x0
Given that v0t=0 and x0=0

I am trying to find the acceleration give that I dropped an eye dropper at 20cm and the average time was 0.116sec

Homework Equations

I have isolated it to a, where it is A= 2x over t2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated it to be 2972cm/s2, then i divided it by 100 to get 29.72m/s2. Isnt the standard 9.8m/s2. I have also timed other objects and it seems they are all different.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your math is OK, it's your time that was faulty.

Are you sure the starting height was 20 cm? That's 8 inches right? Your time corresponds to something that was dropped from 6 cm or 3 inches.

What did you use to time the event? If it involved any form of human starting or stopping of the timer, that throws a +/- of 0.2 seconds into anything.

you won't be able to find acceleration from the given data (I think). The acceleration will be 9.8 m/s/s.

1.72 is the av. velocity and initial velocity = 0 therefore final velocity = 3.45 m/s

acc = (3.45- 0)/0.116

but it is wrong, I guess

I would like to clarify that the equation x=1/2 at2+v0t+x0 is a valid equation for finding acceleration, as long as the initial velocity (v0) and initial position (x0) are known. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes constant acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

In order to accurately calculate the acceleration of an object, we need to have precise measurements of time and position. In this case, it seems that you have measured the average time and initial position, but it would be helpful to have more information about the experiment and the measurements taken.

Additionally, the value of acceleration can vary depending on the circumstances and the objects involved. The standard value of 9.8m/s2 is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, but this may not be the same for other objects or in different environments.

I would recommend double-checking your calculations and measurements, and also considering factors such as air resistance and the shape/size of the objects being dropped. It may also be helpful to conduct multiple trials and take an average to get a more accurate value for the acceleration.

1. What is the importance of asking if an answer makes sense in scientific research?

Asking if an answer makes sense is crucial in scientific research because it ensures that the data and conclusions presented are accurate and logical. It helps to identify any errors or gaps in the research, leading to more reliable results and conclusions.

2. How can I determine if an answer makes sense?

One way to determine if an answer makes sense is to check if it aligns with the known facts and principles of the subject matter. You can also ask for clarification and evidence from the researcher to support their answer.

3. What should I do if an answer does not make sense?

If an answer does not make sense, it is important to ask for further explanation and evidence from the researcher. You can also consult other experts in the field or conduct additional research to verify the validity of the answer.

4. How can I improve my own answers to ensure they make sense?

To improve the sense-making of your own answers, you can review your data and methods carefully to ensure accuracy. You can also seek feedback from colleagues and experts in the field to identify any potential errors or gaps in your research.

5. Is it possible for an answer to make sense but still be incorrect?

Yes, it is possible for an answer to make sense but still be incorrect. This can happen if the data or evidence used to support the answer is flawed or if the answer is based on faulty reasoning. It is important to critically evaluate all aspects of an answer to ensure its accuracy and validity.