Mechanical Engineering Path

In summary, Danger said that he is a new to this site and has various concerns. He plans to study program management prior to leaving the Navy and then complete an engineering degree. He recommends that new engineers start from scratch and that they focus on math and science courses.
santoban
I'm new to this site. This concern that I have has various parts. Here we go.

I started out studying CE up to sophmore year at FAMU-FSU School of Engineering and ended up completing a B.A. in Math at another university in 1998 (financial issues). Joined the Navy in 1999 and about to leave in 2011. I've done some "nuke" training (2 yrs) and then transferred to a career in logistics as a Supply Officer (10 yrs). I'm thinking about completing a course in program management prior to leaving the Navy. I love Harley Motorcycles and plan to attend Motorcycle Mechanics Institute - Orlando for about 60-66 weeks. Upon completion I'd like to return to an institute of higher learning in central FL or FL itself to complete my engineering education, but this time in ME. Any insight as to how I should structure my path through the world of ME? Subjects that I should re-do prior to/at start?

Thanks for whatever professional advise that you can give.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Honestly, I think you'll have to start from scratch. I don't think any universities will take classes from MMI as credit, and classes more than 10 years old probably won't count either.

I really only want the MMI experience for me and it could also help my brain engage in something mechanically hands on prior to start of university courses. As for the university classes, sounds correct. I just didn't want to take any English Composition or Humanities courses. Math and Science, no problem. I'd do over what's needed willingly so that I don't have to struggle in higher level courses.

santoban said:
I just didn't want to take any English Composition or Humanities courses. Math and Science, no problem. I'd do over what's needed willingly so that I don't have to struggle in higher level courses.

It's all going to depend on the university, their academic policies, and how willing the academic advisor is to work with you. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would have loved to substitude many of my general education prerequisites for more tech electives, but universities are required to teach certain kinds of courses to be accredited. It seems to me a mechanical engineer is better off taking composites and advanced thermodynamics than world history and philosophy, but what do I know... :yuck:

I spoke to a counselor today and it may be acceptable that I be exempt from general ed. prerequisites, but I strongly believe that I will engage in the necessary math and science requisites. From start to finish, I have to knock it out in 3 years. Are you familiar with the UCF ME program? Thanks.

I'm not at all familiar with academia, but I strongly encourage you to do whatever it takes... even if that means having to stare at a painting once in a while. You obviously have an attraction to, and appreciation of, engineering. The folks on this site are not indicative of the general populace. In real life, you would be an idol.
By the bye... as a Canuk, I have no use whatsoever for the beaurocracy behind the US military, but I'm also a proud member of the Royal Canadian Legion and thus have an immense respect for the men and women in uniform of any nation. My beret is off to you.

@Danger - Thank you. My cap is off to you too. It just bugs me that I never completed the engineering degree that I wanted. I'll definitely work on it. It seems that my affinity for motorcycle should help fit right it with the ME world. I have a math education that I haven't used since graduation so I'm going to engage in something that I strongly believe that I will embrace. Thank you all. I'll be back through, especially if I have questions.

Even if you don't have questions, at least drop in at General Discussion once in a while to say "hi" and let us know how you're doing.

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of mechanical systems. This includes machines, structures, and processes that use energy and materials to perform various tasks.

What skills do I need to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a successful mechanical engineer, you need to have a strong foundation in math, physics, and other sciences. You also need to have excellent problem-solving skills, be detail-oriented, and have good communication and teamwork abilities. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and other software programs is important.

What job opportunities are available for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, energy, and more. They can hold positions such as design engineer, project manager, quality control engineer, and research and development engineer. Mechanical engineers also have the option of pursuing further education and becoming professors or researchers.

What is the educational path to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a mechanical engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree. It is also important to gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs. After completing your education, you may also need to obtain a professional engineering license to work in certain industries.

What are some current developments and challenges in the field of mechanical engineering?

Some current developments in mechanical engineering include 3D printing, renewable energy technologies, and the use of advanced materials in engineering designs. Some challenges facing the field include sustainability and environmental concerns, as well as the need to keep up with rapidly advancing technology and innovations.