Strange question, but is time and actual thing ?

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of time and whether it is an actual "thing". The speakers discuss the idea of time as a human construct and question whether there is an absolute time outside of human perception. Some suggest that time is a variable that changes with other variables, while others argue that time exists independently of human understanding. Ultimately, the concept of time remains a mystery and is open to various interpretations and hypotheses."
missmallyb
Strange question, but is "time" and actual "thing"?

I was thinking about this today in my Physics class. Is "time" an actual "thing" ? Or just the movement of the hands on a clock?
Please give me your opinion
(:
-Mally

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you mean by an "actual thing".When you are going to understand what you mean by "actual thing" you are probably figure the answer on your own.

One second is the time that elapses during 9,192,631,770 (9.192631770 x 10^9) cycles of the radiation produced by the transition between two levels of the cesium 133 atom.

arunkumarg said:
One second is the time that elapses during 9,192,631,770 (9.192631770 x 10^9) cycles of the radiation produced by the transition between two levels of the cesium 133 atom.

Yes but that is a human construct. What if there is some absolute time?

Feldoh said:
Yes but that is a human construct. What if there is some absolute time?
Everything we use to describe the world around us is a human construct. What do you mean by absolute time?

I still love the basic answer: "Time is Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once."

Okay, that could use a bit of work, but I didn't write it; I merely quoted it.

Hootenanny said:
Everything we use to describe the world around us is a human construct. What do you mean by absolute time?

By absolute time I simply mean not man-made. Perhaps absolute is a bad word but you still get the point...

There are so many symmetries in physics I find it rather fascinating that with man-made time thermodynamics tells us that there is a lack of time symmetry.

Does it not seem at all strange that with man-made time there is a "forward" time bias on entropy?

This depends more on your definition of "thing" than it does on your definition of "time".

Time is just another dimention through which things vary. A dimention is a thing, albeit not one you can poke with a stick.

Also...

Feldoh said:
Does it not seem at all strange that with man-made time there is a "forward" time bias on entropy?

I'm still not certain what you mean by "man-made" time, but I am certain that the increasing entropy bias is not strange at all, because of this:

We experience time only because we have memory, i.e. we can distinguish previous seconds from now. The act of remembering is an increase in entropy (it takes a ton of calories to remember things). We percieve time as having an entropy bias because the mechanisms by which we observe time are time-dependent and entropy-forward.

Archosaur said:
I'm still not certain what you mean by "man-made" time, but I am certain that the increasing entropy bias is not strange at all, because of this:

We experience time only because we have memory, i.e. we can distinguish previous seconds from now. The act of remembering is an increase in entropy (it takes a ton of calories to remember things). We percieve time as having an entropy bias because the mechanisms by which we observe time are time-dependent and entropy-forward.

Remove humans from the equation, remove any organism with memory. Does time still exist? With a lack of definition does time exist? We currently see time as an empirical observation, however is there an absolute time?

If you're measuring time using your memory it's still man made. The way the entropy is measured as increasing is still measured against a purely man-made measurement of time.

Feldoh said:
remove any organism with memory. Does time still exist? With a lack of definition does time exist?

Yes. The only instance in which sentient or semi-sentient beings become involved is when they devise a method of measuring the passage of time. It occurs with or without their participation.

What if quantum time hypotheses are correct? Doesn't the chronon give us an absolute time scale to use?

darkfrog said:
What if quantum time hypotheses are correct? Doesn't the chronon give us an absolute time scale to use?

If that is eventually proven, then yes. Time would be quantized. I have never seen, however, any serious evidence to support it.

haha thanks guysss<3

i think of time as a variable whose value changes whenever other variable (have domain of more then one value) changes.
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(infinity)>0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(real\: number)=0[/tex]

Feldoh said:
Remove humans from the equation, remove any organism with memory. Does time still exist? With a lack of definition does time exist?
"Time" is a man-made word with a man-made definition that describes a phenomena that actually exists. The definition of "time" doesn't create the phenomena, the definition was created to match our observations of the phenomena.

We don't make the rules by which the universe operates, we can only seek to understand them and write down our understanding of them.
We currently see time as an empirical observation, however is there an absolute time?
No.

we perceive time the way we do because of what we are. while it is possible to speculate about what time might be like, outside of our experience of it, the fact remains that any attempt to verify this brings it within our experience.

i find the statement that anything actually exists to be highly speculative. it's a convenient assumption, in accordance with our experience, but that doesn't make it true, just plausible.

an alien species, with a radically different type of neurology, might experience time and space in a totally different way than we do. in certain kinds of abnormal mental states, even human beings experience time in ways that are inconsistent with the consensual views.

the degree to which all human beings are similar (genetic coding, basic biological structure, uniform molecular biological processes, etc.) make it unremarkable that we share many of the same views of the world, not only in our sensory data, but also in the sense we make out of that data. this similarity makes us all "biased", in accepting what is "common sense" (a deliberate pun).

what exists "out there", independent of what we observe, is likely to remain unknown. time is a useful construct, that helps immensely in making sense of what happens in the world, but it is not past imagining we might replace it with a more sophisticated concept at some point in the..hmmm...what we now call the future.

an alien species, with a radically different type of neurology, might experience time and space in a totally different way than we do. in certain kinds of abnormal mental states, even human beings experience time in ways that are inconsistent with the consensual views.

They may EXPERIENCE it differently, but time, just like distance and mass and such, still applies to them exactly the same way it applies to us. A unit of time for them equal to X number of atomic vibrations or whatnot, would still be the exact same for us for that amount.

The only reason we experience time in different ways depending on mental state is because our conciousness is the product of chemical and electrical reactions that can be influenced by different chemicals and experiences. However, a second is still a second, whether we perceive it like that in our minds or not. If I turn off a camera it stops recording. Time still applies just like it always does, but I have changed the camera. When I am unconsious I do not experience time like I do when I'm awake, yet it applies exactly the same as it always does.

Time is a dimension, and we are stuck on a plane moving through it.
That's how I think of it.

A "'thing", let's call it an "existent" either is or is not. Asking whether an existent is an "actual thing" is redundant. It is (either a thing) or is not. I don't think you would ever ask whether a "thing" is an "unactual" thing 'cause you would know right away it's a nonesensical question.

"Time" cannot be a thing as it does not exist anywhere in the universe as an "existent". "Time", like an "inch", "yard", "meter", "fathom", etc., etc., etc., is simply a measurement.

nhmllr said:
Time is a dimension, and we are stuck on a plane moving through it.
That's how I think of it.

Takes three points to determine a plane.

IMHO mass , distance, and time define ours.

Last edited:

Yes. The 3 points you placed there (anywhere) and the measurments (distances between these points) you arrived at. Time is a mental construct rooted in reality.

steve watson said:
Yes. The 3 points you placed there (anywhere) and the measurments (distances between these points) you arrived at. Time is a mental construct rooted in reality.

Time is as much a mental construct as distance is.

I agree. All "mental constructs" are "mental constructs".

I would say time is a real "thing" but it is only 1 thing. It is broken up into managable pieces by us so we can control the world around us.
Before the big bang there was "nothing". That nothing included time. Like the "void" outside space. Time is nothing
Time is separated by humans into pieces because our minds can not understand something that has no beginning no middle and no end.

This thread is not physics.

1. Is time a physical quantity?

Yes, time is considered a fundamental physical quantity that is used to measure the duration of events.

2. Can time be measured?

Yes, time can be measured using various instruments such as clocks, stopwatches, and atomic clocks.

3. Is time considered a dimension?

Yes, time is commonly referred to as the fourth dimension in the context of space-time.

4. Can time be manipulated?

While time travel is still a topic of speculation and debate, time can be manipulated on a small scale through processes such as time dilation and time reversal experiments.

5. How is time related to the concept of entropy?

Time is closely related to the concept of entropy as it is often seen as the direction in which entropy increases in a system. As time passes, systems tend to move towards a state of maximum entropy.