Linear Operators: Relationship Between Action on Kets & Bras

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between an operator H and its actions on the ket and bra vectors. It also touches on the rules and properties of operators, such as being a mapping between vector spaces. The conversation concludes with a question about the Schrödinger equation and the application of a position eigen-state. The answer is that the equation does not hold as presented, and the difference lies in the fact that the operator is on the left side and the scalar is on the right side. This can be attributed to the operator's nature as a mapping between vector spaces.
aaaa202
This is basically more of a math question than a physics-question, but I'm sure you can answer it. My question is about linear operators. If I write an operator H as (<al and lb> being vectors):
<alHlb>
What is then the relationship between H action the ket and H action on the bra. Is this for example true:
<alHlb> = H <alb>
Which rules determine how the operator acts?
Can it be thought of as a scalar such that instead:
<alHlb> = H* <alb>
My question came naturally as I was applying the position-state <xl to the left side of the schrödinger-equation (H being the hamiltonian and lψ(t)> the state vector:
<xlHlψ(t)>
does this equal to:
H<xlψ(t)>
I reckon it must because I've seen it work the other way around, but why is it precisely so. Doesn't it have to do with the fact that H is hermitian?

Physics news on Phys.org

aaaa202 said:
This is basically more of a math question than a physics-question, but I'm sure you can answer it. My question is about linear operators. If I write an operator H as (<al and lb> being vectors):
<alHlb>
What is then the relationship between H action the ket and H action on the bra. Is this for example true:
<alHlb> = H <alb>
Which rules determine how the operator acts?
Can it be thought of as a scalar such that instead:
<alHlb> = H* <alb>
My question came naturally as I was applying the position-state <xl to the left side of the schrödinger-equation (H being the hamiltonian and lψ(t)> the state vector:
<xlHlψ(t)>
does this equal to:
H<xlψ(t)>
I reckon it must because I've seen it work the other way around, but why is it precisely so. Doesn't it have to do with the fact that H is hermitian?

You can't move the operator outside the inner product like that.
An operator is a mapping between vector spaces. Think of it like
a machine: you give it one vector and it gives you another vector back.
However, the inner product [tex]\langle a | b \rangle[/tex] is a scalar,
so in your equation
[tex]
\langle a | H | b \rangle ~=~ H \langle a | b \rangle
[/tex]
you have a scalar on the LHS but an operator on the RHS,
which is mathematical nonsense, in general.

But in the question about the schr. equation. Does this not equal to?
<xlHlψ(t)>
<=>
H<xlψ(t)>
<xl is a position eigen-state and lψ(t)> the state vector.

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that takes in a vector and returns another vector. It follows the rules of linearity, meaning that it preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the relationship between a linear operator's action on kets and bras?

When a linear operator acts on a ket, it produces a new ket. Similarly, when it acts on a bra, it produces a new bra. The relationship between the action on kets and bras is described by the bra-ket notation, where the operator is sandwiched between the bra and ket.

3. How do you calculate the action of a linear operator on a ket?

To calculate the action of a linear operator on a ket, you first need to express the ket as a linear combination of basis kets. Then, you can apply the operator to each basis ket and use the linearity property to find the resulting ket. Finally, you can combine the resulting kets to get the action of the operator on the original ket.

4. What is the adjoint of a linear operator?

The adjoint of a linear operator is a new operator that is defined as the conjugate transpose of the original operator. It is denoted by the dagger symbol (†) and it is used to find the action of the original operator on bras.

5. How can linear operators be used in quantum mechanics?

Linear operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. They also help in solving the Schrödinger equation and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.