Complex Variables: Questions on Singularities, Residues & Cauchy's P.V.

In summary, the conversation covers questions on complex variables, specifically singularities, residues, and Laurent expansions. Part a has singularities at z=1, z=0, +/-1, +/-2, +/-3, etc... and part b has a singularity at z=0. The residue is always provided by the coefficient of the 1/(z-z_0) term in the Laurent expansion, and for the "second degree singularity" a Taylor expansion is needed. Additionally, there is a question about finding the first three nonzero terms in a Laurent expansion and understanding Cauchy's principal value.
Hypnotoad
I have several questions on complex variables, so I will just put them all in here.

1. What are the positions and natures of the singularities and the residues at the singularities of the following functions in the z-plane, excluding the point at infinity?

a)[tex]f(z)=\frac{cot(\pi*z)}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

b)[tex]f(z)=\frac{1}{z(e^z-1)}[/tex]

For part a, there is a second order singularity at z=1 and first order singularites at z=0, +/-1, +/-2, +/-3, etc... and for part b there is a first order singularity at z=0. My question on this problem is how do I find the residues? I don't have any idea how to find the residue for an infinite number of singularities and I'm also not sure how to find the exponential one.

2. Develop the first three nonzero terms of the Laurent expansion about the origin of [tex]f(z)=(e^z-1)^{-1}[/tex]

I know that the expansion is given by [tex]f(z)=\Sum a_n(z-z_0)^n[/tex] with [tex]a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi*i}\int\frac{f(z')dz'}{(z'-z_0)^{n+1}}[/tex]

Is there a way to easily find out which terms are the first three? Since the sum goes from negative infinity to infinty, I'm not sure what integrals to take.

3. I really don't understand Cauchy's principal value. Can anyone give an easy to understand explanation of this?

I think that is all for now. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The residue is always provided by the coefficient of the 1/(z-z_0) term so you'll need to do a taylor expansion in the case of the "second degree singularity."

Tide said:
The residue is always provided by the coefficient of the 1/(z-z_0) term so you'll need to do a taylor expansion in the case of the "second degree singularity."

Of the whole function, or just the term with the second order singularity in it?

1. What are singularities in complex variables?

Singularities in complex variables are points where a function is not well-defined or behaves in a peculiar way. They can be classified as removable, poles, or essential singularities.

2. How are residues calculated in complex variables?

Residues in complex variables are calculated by finding the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of a function around a singularity.

3. What is Cauchy's P.V. and how is it used in complex variables?

Cauchy's P.V. stands for Cauchy's Principal Value. It is used in complex variables to find the value of an integral that is undefined at a singularity. It involves taking a limit as the singularity approaches the contour of the integral.

4. How do singularities affect the behavior of a function in complex variables?

Singularities can have a significant impact on the behavior of a function in complex variables. They can cause the function to be undefined or have essential discontinuities, which can affect the convergence of series and the calculation of integrals.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex variables?

Complex variables have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and control theory.