Calculating Max Radius of Asteroid to Escape From

• Thread starter Master J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asteroid
In summary, you need to estimate your initial velocity when you jump, and use a Conservation Law to find the initial velocity from the data above.
Master J
I need to estimate the maximum radius of an asteroid that I could jump free from.

All I am told is that its density is the same as that of the earth, and I am given a figure for the Earth's radius.

I know the equations for the escape velocity etc, but I just can't seem to get around this one. I keep ending up with 2 unknowns no matter which way I try it.

Any hints??

Physics news on Phys.org
Be more specific with what you have tried & where you are stuck.

Escape velocity is

v = SQRT 2gr

since the densities are the same, this gives me the ratio of escape velocities of the asteroid and Earth is equal to the ratio of their radii. I can work out the escape velocity of the earth, O have its radius, yet I am left with the escape velocity of the asteroid AND its radius, 2 unknowns??

Basically you need to estimate your initial velocity when you jump i.e. the velocity after you extended you legs and developed momentum.

You can do this by estimating where is the center of mass of your body and measuring it's height above ground, then jump as hard as you can and estimate what is the height difference of your center of mass at you max height and its original position.

The use "a Conservation Law" to find the initial velocity from the data above.

remember that the impulse is (force - mg)*(delta time) !

probably you need to do some mathematics to do the correct estimation also and you need to estimate the time it take to apply the force with you legs (that's basically the way i solved it).

another way: you can estimate what impulse you can develop in your jump i.e. what force to you apply with your legs when you are preforming a jump and for how long do you apply it.

good luck.

Last edited:
When i jump on the Earth or asteroid??

If you have an asteroid to jump on then yes, otherwise the earth.
I advise thinking about the question before writing equations and planing the way you will going to solve it, I provided a way to attack the problem.
Think about how can you quantize your "jump".

Ok so on earth, when I jump with initial speed v, I can get v from

mgh = 1/2 mv^2 , if I take an estimate of h.

SO then, on the asteroid, I jump with this speed, but now I escape from the asteroid, so this is my escape velocity ( no smaller than).

so v = SQRT 2gr. But again, I can't find g (of the asteroid).

I seem to be goin in circles here :/

[tex]g=\frac{G\,M_E}{{R_E}^2}[/tex]

and [tex]M_E=\rho\ \frac{4}{3}\pi{R_E}^3[/tex]

[tex]g=\frac{4\,G\rho\,\pi\,R_E}{3}[/tex]

Of course that's for Earth. A similar result holds for an asteroid with density ρ .

1. What is the significance of calculating the maximum radius of an asteroid to escape from?

Calculating the maximum radius of an asteroid to escape from is important because it helps us understand the potential impact of an asteroid on Earth. By knowing the maximum radius, we can determine the size and strength of the impact and prepare for potential hazards.

2. How is the maximum radius of an asteroid calculated?

The maximum radius of an asteroid is calculated using the equation Rmax = 2GM/v^2, where Rmax is the maximum radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the asteroid, and v is the escape velocity. This equation takes into account the mass and velocity of the asteroid to determine the maximum distance it can travel before escaping from the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as Earth.

3. What factors affect the maximum radius of an asteroid?

The maximum radius of an asteroid is affected by its mass and velocity, as well as the gravitational pull of the larger body it is escaping from. Other factors that may play a role include the shape and composition of the asteroid, as well as any external forces acting on it.

4. Can the maximum radius of an asteroid change over time?

Yes, the maximum radius of an asteroid can change over time. This can happen due to a variety of factors, including collisions with other objects, changes in the asteroid's composition, and interactions with gravitational forces from other bodies in space.

5. How does calculating the maximum radius of an asteroid help with space exploration?

Calculating the maximum radius of an asteroid can help with space exploration by providing valuable information about potential routes and trajectories for spacecraft. It also helps us understand the behavior and movement of objects in space, which is crucial for planning and executing missions to explore other planets and celestial bodies.