How fast does hot air rise and disperse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that affect the speed of hot air rising and dispersing. The participants mention that the type of gas, temperature, elevation, and volume all play a role in the rate of rise. They also bring up the concept of buoyancy and how it decreases as the air rises and changes. The conversation then shifts to discussing the speed of expansion of hot air and the idea of using thrust to calculate the rate of rise. The conversation ends with a mention of natural convection and the need for viscosity to make calculations.
dBrandon/dC
I know there have been some forums here about hot air rising, but I'm curious - how fast does hot air rise? Also, how fast does it disperse? If we consider steam, for example, rising and dispersing horizontally from a boiling pot of water. Does anyone know some (hopefully simple) equations to describe this?

Physics news on Phys.org
to know how fast hot air will rise you would need to know the type of gas, how hot it is, elevation above sea level, whether it is rising in a tube or in the open, and the volume of hot gas. as you increase the temp and/or amount it will rise faster without dissipating. if you look at a video of a bomb exploding the hot gas rises in a ball that circulates. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwlNPhn64TA&feature=related)
hot air will dissipate fast unless it rises at a certain velocity allowing it to stay in ball form.

sorry but i don't have a simple equation for you.

It seems to me the rising would be the easier one to figure out. I know some people haven't liked the description of hot air rising as a result of buoyancy, but considering that as an approximation, I can see the buoyant force decreasing as the body of air rises and/or changes (cools, diffuses, etc.). I think the speed of dispersion question is probably harder - a fluid flowing into/through another fluid. ...

if you take 1 cubic foot of gas at sea level and heat it up to a couple hundred degrees it will expand. so let's say it expands to 1 1/2 cubic feet. it will create lift because it displaces 1/2 cubic foot of cool air around it. so if atmospheric air weighs .005 grams per 1/2 cubic foot that's how much lift it will create. just like a hot air balloon. to figure out how fast it will rise you would have to assume gravity is non existent and figure out how fast .005 grams of thrust can accelerate a 1 1/2 cubic feet of air weighing .01 grams.

i didnt use the actual weight of the air just to keep it simple.

Hmmm ... thrust. Not a bad idea. But what about the speed of expansion of a body of hot air?

that depends on how much heat u put into it over a certian time period

Alright, let's assume the volume of air in question is saturated by steam rising off a boiling pot of water. Let's say the air is 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.01 m, or 10^-4 m^3, it's 100 degrees C, and it has a density of 58g/m^3. The ideal gas equation gives its initial pressure as about 100 mBars. If the ambient air is at standard temperature and pressure (about 15 degrees C and 1 Bar), how fast will the water-saturated air rise and expand?

in this case you would measure the expansion in reference to the water. so if you could boil off 1/2 cubic foot of water in one minute you would create 8000 cubic feet of steam. so the steam would expand at 16000 cfm(cubic feet a min). as far as the steams effect on the air around it, you would need to know how much the air expands when it goes from 15 degrees c to 100 degrees c and add it to the 16000 cfm.

Gabe21 said:
in this case you would measure the expansion in reference to the water. so if you could boil off 1/2 cubic foot of water in one minute you would create 8000 cubic feet of steam. so the steam would expand at 16000 cfm(cubic feet a min). as far as the steams effect on the air around it, you would need to know how much the air expands when it goes from 15 degrees c to 100 degrees c and add it to the 16000 cfm.

it would expand at 8000 cfm, my bad

You will need viscosity to calculate anything IMHO.

What factors affect the speed of hot air rising?

The speed of hot air rising is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot air and the surrounding air, the density of the hot air, and the size and shape of the object creating the hot air.

How does the temperature difference affect the speed of hot air rising?

The greater the temperature difference between the hot air and the surrounding air, the faster the hot air will rise. This is because hot air is less dense than cold air, so it will be more buoyant and rise more quickly.

Does the density of the hot air impact its rising speed?

Yes, the density of the hot air does play a role in its speed of rising. Hot air is less dense than cold air, which means it is lighter and will rise more quickly. However, the density of hot air can also be affected by the humidity and pressure of the surrounding air.

How does the size and shape of the object creating hot air affect its rising speed?

The size and shape of the object creating hot air can impact its rising speed in several ways. For example, a larger object will create more hot air, which can result in a faster vertical ascent. Additionally, the shape of the object can also affect the direction and flow of the hot air, which can impact its overall speed.

Is there a maximum speed at which hot air can rise?

Yes, there is a limit to the speed at which hot air can rise. This is primarily determined by the temperature difference between the hot air and the surrounding air. Once the hot air reaches the same temperature as the surrounding air, it will stop rising.