Elementary Set Theory Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in set theory involving sets A and B, and the proof that A is a subset of B if and only if their intersection is equal to A. The proof is split into two parts, the first proving that if A is a subset of B, then their intersection is equal to A. The second part proves that if their intersection is not equal to A, then A is not a subset of B. The conversation also includes a discussion about the formal language used in the proof.
WisheDeom
Hello,

I am teaching myself Set Theory, and in doing some exercises I came across the problem:

Given sets A and B, prove that [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].

My proof, in natural language, is in two parts:

1) Prove that if [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex], [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].

By the definition of subsets, all elements [itex]x \in A[/itex] are also [itex]x \in B[/itex]. By definition, [itex]A \cap B = \left\{x: x \in A \wedge x \in B \right\}[/itex]. Since all elements of A are also elements of B, but not all elements of B are necessarily elements of A, the intersection fo the two is A.

2) Prove that if [itex]A \cap B \neq A[/itex], it is not true that [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex].

If the intersection of A and B is not A, then there are necessarily elements of A that are not elements of B, therefore A is not a subset of B.

Therefore, [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex]. Q.E.D.

Is this a sufficient proof?

If it is, could someone help me translate it into the language of formal language?

Edit: Fixed wrong logical connective, set notation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi WisheDeom! :smile:

WisheDeom said:
Hello,

I am teaching myself Set Theory, and in doing some exercises I came across the problem:

Given sets A and B, prove that [itex]A \subset B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].

1) Prove that if [itex]A \subset B[/itex], [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].

By the definition of subsets, all elements [itex]x \in A[/itex] are also [itex]x \in B[/itex]. By definition, [itex]A \cap B = {x: x \in A \vee x \in B}[/itex].

Here you probably mean [itex]\wedge[/itex] and not [itex]\vee[/itex].

Since all elements of A are also elements of B, but not all elements of B are necessarily elements of A, the intersection fo the two is A.

This only proves that [itex]A\subseteq A\cap B[/itex]? What about the other inclusion?

2) Prove that if [itex]A \cap B \neq A[/itex], it is not true that [itex]A \subset B[/itex]. If the intersection of A and B is not A, then there are necessarily elements of A that are not elements of B, therefore A is not a subset of B.

You again use that [itex]A\cap B\subseteq A[/itex], you may want to prove this.

Therefore, [itex]A \subset B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex]. Q.E.D.

The proof looks good except for the remarks I posted.

If it is, could someone help me translate it into the language of formal language?

I like the style of the proof. What do you mean with "formal language"? You mean with symbols like [itex]\Rightarrow,~\forall,~\wedge[/itex] and stuff?

WisheDeom said:
Given sets A and B, prove that [itex]A \subset B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].
Unless I'm missing something, this theorem isn't true. It's almost true, but consider the case where A = B.

pmsrw3 said:
Unless I'm missing something, this theorem isn't true. It's almost true, but consider the case where A = B.

The theorem is true even in the case where A=B

Thank you for the responses.

micromass said:
Here you probably mean [itex]\wedge[/itex] and not [itex]\vee[/itex].

Yes, of course.

micromass said:
This only proves that [itex]A\subseteq A\cap B[/itex]? What about the other inclusion?

This is what I was trying to do in the second part, but see below.

micromass said:
You again use that [itex]A\cap B\subseteq A[/itex], you may want to prove this.

Would you be able to go into a little more detail? I know this is very basic, but I am just starting. :smile:

micromass said:
I like the style of the proof. What do you mean with "formal language"? You mean with symbols like [itex]\Rightarrow,~\forall,~\wedge[/itex] and stuff?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess my approach in learning the subject is a bit of a mix of "naive" and "axiomatic" set theory.

pmsrw3 said:

evagelos said:
The theorem is true even in the case where A=B

Yes, of course, I should have written "a subset of or equal to". I fixed the notation in the OP.

WisheDeom said:
Would you be able to go into a little more detail? I know this is very basic, but I am just starting. :smile:

You say

If the intersection of A and B is not A, then there are necessarily elements of A that are not elements of B,

But the only thing I can infer from the statement "If the intersection of A and B is not A" is that there either is an element in A but not in [itex]A\cap B[/itex] or there is an element in [itex]A\cap B[/itex], but not in A. One of these possibilities cannot happen, namely that there is an element in [itex]A\cap B[/itex] but not in A. But for that you need to show first that [itex]A\cap B\subseteq A[/itex]

micromass said:
But the only thing I can infer from the statement "If the intersection of A and B is not A" is that there either is an element in A but not in [itex]A\cap B[/itex] or there is an element in [itex]A\cap B[/itex], but not in A. One of these possibilities cannot happen, namely that there is an element in [itex]A\cap B[/itex] but not in A. But for that you need to show first that [itex]A\cap B\subseteq A[/itex]

Ah! I understand now.

So by definition [itex]A \cap B = \left\{x:x \in A \wedge x \in B } [/itex] and [itex]C \subseteq A \leftrightarrow \forall x (x \in C \rightarrow x \in A)[/itex]. Since the intersection of A and B contains elements from A but no elements not in A, [itex](A \cap B) \subseteq A[/itex].

Is this valid? Does it complete the proof?

Thanks for your patience, by the way.

WisheDeom said:
Ah! I understand now.

So by definition [itex]A \cap B = \left\{x:x \in A \wedge x \in B } [/itex] and [itex]C \subseteq A \leftrightarrow \forall x (x \in C \rightarrow x \in A)[/itex]. Since the intersection of A and B contains elements from A but no elements not in A, [itex](A \cap B) \subseteq A[/itex].

Is this valid? Does it complete the proof?

Thanks for your patience, by the way.

Yes, this is ok :smile:

WisheDeom said:
Hello,

Given sets A and B, prove that [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].

1) Prove that if [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex], [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex].

By the definition of subsets, all elements [itex]x \in A[/itex] are also [itex]x \in B[/itex]. By definition, [itex]A \cap B = \left\{x: x \in A \wedge x \in B \right\}[/itex]. Since all elements of A are also elements of B, but not all elements of B are necessarily elements of A, the intersection fo the two is A.

2) Prove that if [itex]A \cap B \neq A[/itex], it is not true that [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex].

If the intersection of A and B is not A, then there are necessarily elements of A that are not elements of B, therefore A is not a subset of B.

Therefore, [itex]A \subseteq B[/itex] if and only if [itex]A \cap B = A[/itex]. Q.E.D.

Edit: Fixed wrong logical connective, set notation.

Here is the formalization (ignoring tex):
Key:
A. for [itex]\forall[/itex]
-> for [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]
e. for [itex]\in[/itex]
i^i for [itex]\cap[/itex]
C_ for [itex]\subseteq[/itex]

1 A C_ B <-> A. x ( x e. A -> x e. B )
2 ( A i^i B ) = A <-> A. x ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A )
3 ( A C_ B <-> ( A i^i B ) = A ) <-> ( A. x ( x e. A -> x e. B ) <-> A. x ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A ) ) ) (By 1 and 2)
4 ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) -> x e. A ) [case of a and b -> a]
5 ( x e. A -> x e. B ) -> ( x e. A -> ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) )
6 ( x e. A -> x e. B ) -> ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A ) (By 4 and 5)
7 ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A ) -> ( x e. A -> ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) )
8 ( x e. A -> ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) ) -> ( x e. A -> x e. B )
9 ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A ) -> ( x e. A -> x e. B ) ( by 7 and 8)
10 ( x e. A -> x e. B ) <-> ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A ) ( by 6 and 9)
11 A. x ( x e. A -> x e. B ) <-> A. x ( ( x e. A /\ x e. B ) <-> x e. A ) (by 10)
12 A C_ B <-> ( A i^i B ) = A (by 11 and 3)

Too much detail, but it is very spelled out.

1. What is elementary set theory?

Elementary set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It involves defining and manipulating sets, as well as studying their properties and relationships.

2. What is a proof in elementary set theory?

A proof in elementary set theory is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a statement or theorem about sets. It follows a set of established rules and principles to show that a statement is true for all possible cases.

3. How do you construct a proof in elementary set theory?

To construct a proof in elementary set theory, you must first clearly state the statement or theorem you want to prove. Then, you must use logical reasoning and established principles of set theory, such as the laws of sets, to show that the statement is true. It is important to be thorough and precise in your arguments.

4. What are some common techniques used in proofs in elementary set theory?

Some common techniques used in proofs in elementary set theory include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Direct proof involves using logical steps to directly show that a statement is true. Proof by contradiction involves assuming the opposite of what you want to prove and showing that it leads to a contradiction. Proof by induction involves using a base case and an inductive step to prove a statement for all cases.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing proofs in elementary set theory?

To improve your skills in writing proofs in elementary set theory, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic principles and laws of set theory. Practice constructing proofs for different types of statements and seek feedback from others. Reading and studying well-written proofs can also help improve your skills. Additionally, attending workshops or courses on proof writing can be beneficial.