Understanding Binomial PMF Notation: Clearing Up Confusion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation for a binomial PMF formed from an underlying Bernoulli distribution. The equation includes a square root term, as well as an exponential term raised to the power of n times the product of two variables, p and q. The conversation also clarifies that the notation is a normal approximation for the binomial distribution, and provides a more detailed explanation of the Bernoulli process and its relationship to the binomial distribution.
EmmaSaunders1
Hi,

could someone possible make something clear for me - I have come across this notation for a binomial PMF formed from an underlying beurnolli distribution:

PS_{n}(\bar{p}n)\sim\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi n\bar{p}(1-\bar{p})}}exp
[n\varnothing(p,\bar{p}] ,\\

PS_{n}(\bar{p}n)=PMF-of-binomial-dist-from-underlying-binary-PMF\\
where,pz(1)=p>0,pz(0)=q>0,q=(1-p)

=I can understand that this is the binomial PMF with variance = npq, and the square root term is easy to understand. I don't understand the term raised to the exponential and how one can get from the beurnolli distribution to this binomial distribution, could someone please clarify

Attachments

• PMFgif.gif
    PMFgif.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to fix your equation notation. Is it supposed to be Latex?

Hi - yeah I used a Latex online generator - the gif file visualizes clearly the notation

This is how it looks in the attachment. To get LaTeX to display on a separate line, put "tex" in square brackets, [ ], before the LaTeX, and "/text" in square brackets after it. If you want to use LaTeX in the same line as other text, type "itex" in square brackets at the beginning instead of "tex", and "/itex" at the end instead of "/tex".

[tex]PS_{n}(\bar{p}n)\sim\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi n\bar{p}(1-\bar{p})}}exp
[n\varnothing(p,\bar{p}],[/tex]

[itex]PS_{n}(\bar{p}n)=[/itex] PMF-of-binomial-dist-from-underlying-binary-PMF

where,[itex]pz(1)=p>0,pz(0)=q>0,q=(1-p)[/itex]

Last edited:
Thats correct yes

I appologise - the last bracket sequence should read like p)]

Are you sure you're describing this correctly? This doesn't look to me like it has anything to do with the relationship between binomial and Bernoulli distributions. It looks to me like a normal approximation for the binomial. Except that I have not a clue what [itex]n\varnothing(p,\bar{p})[/itex] represents. Also, what exactly are pz and [itex]\bar{p}[/itex]? How can [itex]PS_{n}(\bar{p}n)[/itex] be the PMF for a binomial distribution, when its argument (apparently) takes on non-integer values?

Can you give us some context?

Hi Thanks for taking a look - it is a normal approximation of a binomial distribution from a beurnolli process. I am just having a little difficulty understanding the notation and would appreciate if anyone could point me in the correct direction to understand this.

Attached is a more detailed explanation.

Thanks all

Attachments

• PMF.GIF
    PMF.GIF
    33.5 KB · Views: 497
OK, that makes more sense. You've flipped a biased coin n times -- that's the Bernoulli process. The random variable [itex]S_n[/itex] is the number of heads that turned up, and it has a binomial distribution. [itex]\overline{p} = \frac{\text{number heads}}{n}[/itex], so that [itex]\overline{p}n[/itex] is an integer, the number of heads, between 0 and n. (Your text restricts it to between 1 and n-1 because [itex]\phi(p,\overline{p})[/itex] blows up at 0 and n.) [itex]\mbox{P}_{S_n}(k)[/itex] is the probability that [itex]S_n=k[/itex]. You're not supposed to be able to figure out yet where the RHS of 1.23 came from. The proof of it should follow. This is NOT yet a normal approximation -- presumably they'll get to that further on in the chapter.

I don't understand ... how one can get from the beurnolli distribution to this binomial distribution, could someone please clarify
Well, that's simple. A Bernoulli process is just flipping a (possibly biased) coin over and over and counting up the number of heads. Now, you should know that, if you flip a coin n times and count the number of heads, it will have a binomial distribution.

Thanks for that - the exponential term is then just set such that the probability of a number of success in any give n-trials experimet is between 0 and 1

What is the notation used for binomial PMF?

Binomial PMF (probability mass function) is typically denoted as B(n,p), where n represents the number of trials and p represents the probability of success in each trial.

How is the binomial PMF calculated?

The binomial PMF is calculated using the formula P(x) = (nCx)(p^x)(1-p)^(n-x), where nCx represents the combination of n choose x, p^x represents the probability of x successes, and (1-p)^(n-x) represents the probability of (n-x) failures.

What does the notation (nCx) mean in binomial PMF?

The notation (nCx) in binomial PMF represents the combination of n choose x, which is calculated as n! / (x!(n-x)!). This represents the number of ways to choose x objects from a set of n objects.

Can the binomial PMF be used to calculate probabilities for continuous data?

No, the binomial PMF is only applicable for discrete data, where there are a finite number of possible outcomes. For continuous data, the probability is calculated using a different function called the probability density function (PDF).

What is the difference between binomial PMF and binomial CDF?

The binomial PMF (probability mass function) calculates the probability of obtaining a specific number of successes in a fixed number of trials, while the binomial CDF (cumulative distribution function) calculates the probability of obtaining up to a given number of successes in a fixed number of trials. The binomial CDF takes into account all possible outcomes up to the given number, while the PMF only calculates the probability for one specific outcome.