Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of joint pdf's and how they apply to gaussian random variables. It was clarified that the joint pdf of z1 and x is the product of their individual pdfs, while the joint pdf of z1 and z2 is impulsive on the diagonals where z2 = +/-z1 and zero elsewhere. The distribution of z2 alone was also discussed, with the conclusion that it is a standard bell curve. The conversation ended with a note on using joint cdfs instead of pdfs when working with dependent random variables or continuous-discrete mixtures.
EmmaSaunders1
Hi all,

I am having trouble with the concept of joint pdf's. For example - a set Z1,Z2,...ZN are each gaussian rv.

Let Z1~N(0,1), let X be +1 or -1 each with probability 0.5. Z2=Z1X1, so Z2 is ~N(0,1).

(I assume this to be As Z2 is just Z1 multiplied by a simple factor, an instance of X, either +1 or -1.)

I am having trouble understanding how the joint pdf pZ1Z2(z1,z2) is impulsive on the diagnols where z2=+/-z1 and is zero elsewhere.

I can understand how the joint pdf of for example pZ1X(z1,x) would be zero but impulsive on the diagnols but not when the joint pdf is made from the two gaussians as described - - advice appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it backward. The joint PDF of z1 and x is never zero, at least not for values of either x or z1 that can occur. They're independent (I assume, although you didn't explicitly state this), so the joint PDF for z1 and x is just the product of the individual PDFs. (I'm ignoring the fact that x doesn't really have a well-behaved PDF.)

The is not the case for z1 and z2. From the definition, z2 is always either z1 or -z1. There are no other possibilities. So, for instance, although z1 = 0.5 is possible and z2 = 1 is possible, (z1,z2) = (0.5, 1) is impossible.

Thanks - I think I am a little closer to understanding,

As Z2=Z1X1, I was assuming that Z2's pdf was the joint pdf of Z1 and X, I take it that this is incorrect?

As Z2 can only equal + or - z1, this is what makes it impulisve at the points where Z2=Z1. I am just having a little dificilty visualizing the joint pdf (z1,z2), paticulalry the distribution of z2 alone.

EmmaSaunders1 said:
As Z2=Z1X1, I was assuming that Z2's pdf was the joint pdf of Z1 and X, I take it that this is incorrect?
That is incorrect. z2 is a standard normal variable, so it has a nice ordinary bell-shaped PDF.

This is where I am having difficulty, if it is a standard bell curve then how can it take on only values of +z1 and -z1 when z1 itself is also a standard bell curve - I am having trouble visualizing a bell curve that contains all values of + and - another bell curve

The unconditional distribution of z2 is just a bell curve. The conditional distribution of z2, if you know z1, is a sum of two delta functions,

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\delta(z_2-z_1)+\frac{1}{2}\delta(z_2+z_1)
[/tex]

The joint PDF for z1 and z2 looks something like the attached plot, except that I broadened the ridges a bit to make them plottable. In reality, they would have width zero and infinite height.

Attachments

• normal_cross.png
    normal_cross.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 524
Thats great - thanks very much for making things clear

It's better to avoid pdfs when working with dependent random variables or continuous-discrete mixtures and the delta function approach can give paradoxical results if you're not extremely careful, however the joint cdf is always defined and for this example it is

F(x1,x2) = {(1/2)*N(xmin) if xmin<0<xmax<(-xmin) or N(xmin) otherwise}

where xmin=min(x1,x2), xmax=max(x1,x2) and N is the normal cdf.

1. What is a Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf?

A Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf is a mathematical representation of the probability distribution of two or more variables that follow a Gaussian or normal distribution. The joint density function is expressed as a discrete probability mass function (pmf), which assigns a probability to each possible combination of values for the variables.

2. How is the joint density function different from the individual density functions?

The joint density function represents the probability distribution of multiple variables at once, while individual density functions only represent the probability distribution of a single variable. The joint density function takes into account the correlation between the variables, while individual density functions do not.

3. How is the joint density function calculated?

The joint density function is calculated by multiplying the individual density functions of each variable together. For example, if we have two variables X and Y, the joint density function would be f(x,y) = fX(x) * fY(y). This assumes that the variables are independent of each other.

4. What is the significance of a Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf?

Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf is important in statistics and probability because it allows us to model and analyze the behavior of multiple variables simultaneously. It is commonly used in fields such as finance, engineering, and science to understand the relationship between different variables and make predictions based on their joint probability distribution.

5. Can a Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf be used to model any type of data?

No, a Gaussian random variable joint density with discrete pdf is only suitable for continuous data that follows a normal distribution. If the data does not follow a normal distribution, other probability distributions such as Poisson or binomial may be more appropriate. It is important to analyze the data and determine which distribution best fits the data before using a joint density function.