Electricity Basics and Battery basics

In summary: The return path is a bit more complicated. Basically, once an electron has been transferred from the supply side to the load side, it will continue moving until it eventually makes it back to the supply side. However, it might take a while (sometimes minutes or hours) for it to do so.
DwithQs
Please help! Also, please correct any misunderstandings which I have. I have read about electricity basics and what happens on the atomic level until I have read ideas which compete with each other.

1 - I've read that the word electricity applies to particles with a negative charge (more electrons), and also sometimes a positive charge (less electrons). I know that mostly electricity is the act of balancing out electrons between a point with a surplus of electrons (negative charge) and a point with a shortage of electrons (positive charge). So, does that mean that on a battery, the side with the (-) sign is the side that has the surplus of electrons ---- or, does the side with the (+) sign have the surplus of electrons? When a load is applied, do the electrons balance out by moving from the (-) to the (+) or the other way around? I've read that, well the electrons flow one way, but the charge flows the other. That does not make sense. I can see that the side with a shortage of electrons is positively charged, but I thought the electrons are what would move the balance everything out - not protons. Therefore, nothing moves from the side with a shortage (positive charge), just the side with a surplus (negative charge). Is that correct?

2 - Resistance - Exactly what causes resistance in a wire or a load, atomically?

3 - Return path - If moving electrons are indeed the source of the work being done, do they all move through the load and make it back to the other terminal? Otherwise, where do they go? I know electricity lights a bulb and some energy is transformed into light and heat. How does that effect the electrons or other particles in the conductor?

4 - More practical - Is a dead battery basically a battery with a balanced charge through both sides?

5 - A/C Electricity - Does some of the electricity go through your home appliances and return to the power company? If so, can they reuse that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. All the basics of electricity in one question.

In any circuit, for a continuous current to flow, the same amount of charge will flow out of the supply + terminal and back into the - terminal.
In metals, the charge is carried by the net motion of electrons BUT the electrons are moving randomly at very high speeds in all directions with a very slow average 'drift speed' of a few mm per second. It can take minutes (or hours) for the electrons to make it all the way round a circuit. So, although everyone says that it's electrons that flow, it's actually not a very good way to treat electrical circuits. It's best just to treat Current as abstract Current which follows all the rules for electric circuits.

The reason that the current is due only to electron movement in solids is because the positive metal ions are massive and stuck in the lattice but the electrons are very easily pushed from place to place (requiring very little energy - and hence the low resistance).
OK so far?

Yes... clear so far... thanks

DwithQs said:
So, does that mean that on a battery, the side with the (-) sign is the side that has the surplus of electrons ---- or, does the side with the (+) sign have the surplus of electrons? When a load is applied, do the electrons balance out by moving from the (-) to the (+) or the other way around? I've read that, well the electrons flow one way, but the charge flows the other.

It is almost exclusively the electrons that flow in an electrical circuit. Historically it was thought that current flowed from + to - however it was shown later that the opposite was actually happening. Since it was already taught to many many people as current flowing from + to - it has generally stayed that way. Fortunately it doesn't matter when it comes to practical application, as established rules for electrical engineering and such don't need to take into account the actual direction an electron moves.

2 - Resistance - Exactly what causes resistance in a wire or a load, atomically?

The easiest way is to say that electrons are "impacting" atoms in the wire and giving up their energy as heat, however that is not quite correct. The actual effect is much more complicated and I don't understand it enough to try to explain it.

3 - Return path - If moving electrons are indeed the source of the work being done, do they all move through the load and make it back to the other terminal? Otherwise, where do they go? I know electricity lights a bulb and some energy is transformed into light and heat. How does that effect the electrons or other particles in the conductor?

Current is conserved throughout the circuit. The same current flows into the beginning of the circuit and out of the end.

4 - More practical - Is a dead battery basically a battery with a balanced charge through both sides?

More or less.

5 - A/C Electricity - Does some of the electricity go through your home appliances and return to the power company? If so, can they reuse that?

The term Electricity doesn't describe any effects of an electrical circuit. The current flows one way through the two cables in the power lines and your house before reversing and flowing the other way. This switch occurs 60 times a second here in the US. BOTH cables serve as both the live and return lines. (Though for practical reasons they are labeled as one being live and one being neutral in house wiring and such.)

Hello,

I am happy to provide some clarification on electricity basics and battery basics. It is common for different ideas to compete with each other in science, as it is a constantly evolving field.

1 - You are correct in understanding that electricity refers to the movement of charged particles, specifically electrons. Electrons are negatively charged particles and can move from a point with a surplus of electrons (negative charge) to a point with a shortage of electrons (positive charge). In a battery, the side with the (-) sign does indeed have a surplus of electrons. When a load is applied, the electrons move from the negative side to the positive side, balancing out the charge. This is known as the flow of current.

2 - Resistance is caused by the interaction between electrons and the atoms in a material. As electrons move through a wire or load, they collide with the atoms, causing resistance. The type and amount of material in the wire or load can also affect resistance.

3 - In a circuit, there is always a complete path for the electrons to flow. The return path is typically through the negative side of the battery. When electrons flow through a load, some of their energy is transformed into light or heat. This does not affect the electrons themselves, as they still have the same charge and continue to flow through the circuit.

4 - A dead battery does not necessarily have a balanced charge through both sides. It is more accurate to say that a dead battery no longer has the chemical reaction necessary to produce a flow of electrons. This can happen when all of the chemicals in the battery are used up or when the battery is damaged.

5 - In A/C electricity, the flow of electrons alternates between positive and negative. In your home, the electricity flows through your appliances and then back to the power company through the neutral wire. The power company can then reuse this electricity in their grid.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions about electricity and batteries. Keep reading and learning, as there is always more to discover in the world of science!

1. What is electricity and how does it work?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the flow of electrons. It works by using the movement of electrons to power devices and systems.

2. What are the main components of an electric circuit?

The main components of an electric circuit include a power source (such as a battery or generator), conductors (usually metal wires), and loads (devices that use electricity, such as light bulbs or motors).

3. How do batteries store and release electricity?

Batteries store electricity in the form of chemical energy. When a circuit is connected, the chemical reactions inside the battery cause electrons to flow and release energy. When the battery runs out of chemical energy, it needs to be recharged or replaced.

4. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (amps).

5. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is when the flow of electrons periodically changes direction. This is the type of electricity that is used in most homes and buildings. DC (direct current) electricity is when the flow of electrons only goes in one direction. This is the type of electricity that is used in batteries and electronic devices.