How to Solve Q6a) and b) in AQA Human Biology 2006 Jan Exam

• Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date
In summary: The answer to question (b) is that the combined (Rose + Single) percent telling you? - check against the given table.The HW Law, what does it say?what does it mean "the genes are inherited indepentandly"what does it mean "the genes are inherited indepentandly" is that the inheritance of a particular gene is independent of other genes on the same chromosome.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Human%20Biology/2006%20Jan/AQA-BYA5-W-QP-JAN06.pdf

If we look at Q6a) we are asked to find Genotype of parents (Aabb and aaBb) and the gametes formed.

What gametes are formed? and why?
thanks

also, how is part b) calculated?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out the genotype of
Pea: Aabb
Rose: aaBb

Now I am not sure if the gametes formed are Aa/bb OR Ab/ab
which one is correct and why?

Now, with this how do I do b) [i could not work out it even hypothetically)
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

First check or revise you know what a gamete is and what it can contain.

For question (b), which is independent, you need to know two things

i What is the combined (Rose + Single) percent telling you? - check against the given table.

ii What actually is the HW Law, what does it say?

Last edited:

what does it mean "the genes are inherited indepentandly"

jsmith613 said:
what does it mean "the genes are inherited indepentandly"

To see anything in genetics there have to be differences. So say a parent has a difference in his/her A pair of genes. The parent is Aa. Then the offspring gets A from that parent half the times and gets a half the times. Never mind how the composition shows up as phenotype in the parent or offspring according to the other copy of the gene they have. There are even chances of transmitting one or the other version of the gene.

Now at the other locus, suppose the parent is heterozygous there too, it is Bb. Again it is even chances an offspring gets B or b.

Now suppose a parent is Aa Bb . In most cases if an offspring gets A from it, it has an even chance of getting B or b, and if it gets a it has an even chance of getting B or b. That is the inheritance of A and B are independent.

The extreme opposite is closely linked inheritance. That would be with the above parent, for example whenever the offspring receives A it receives B too and almost never b. That happens when the A gene and the B gene are close together on a chromosome.

The intermediate case when they are neither always together nor independent which happens when A and B are on the same chromosome but get separated by crossovers.

I hope this eases or confirms explanations that must be in your textbook - we here cannot substitute for those.

Last edited:

thanks for that!

i also understand the next bit
so question sorted! yey!

jsmith613 said:
i also understand the next bit
so question sorted! yey!

What was the answer?

1. What are gametes?

Gametes are specialized cells that are involved in sexual reproduction. They are responsible for carrying genetic information from one individual to another to create a new organism.

2. How are gametes formed?

Gametes are formed through a process called meiosis. During meiosis, a diploid cell (with two sets of chromosomes) divides twice to produce four haploid cells (with one set of chromosomes each). These haploid cells are the gametes.

3. What is the purpose of gametes?

The purpose of gametes is to facilitate sexual reproduction. During fertilization, a male gamete (sperm) and a female gamete (egg) combine to form a zygote, which then develops into a new organism with a unique combination of genetic material.

4. Do all organisms produce gametes?

No, not all organisms produce gametes. Some organisms, such as bacteria, reproduce asexually and do not produce gametes. However, the majority of animals and plants do produce gametes for sexual reproduction.

5. Can gametes be genetically modified?

Yes, gametes can be genetically modified through various techniques such as gene editing or artificial selection. This can result in offspring with desired traits, but it also raises ethical concerns and has potential consequences for the gene pool of a species.