The Wronskian and the Derivative of the Wronskian

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wronskian of two solutions of a given equation and using it to determine linear independence of the functions. The wronskian is the determinant of a matrix formed by the two solutions and their derivatives. Taking the derivative of the wronskian will give the desired result in part a. In part b, the linear combination of the two solutions is set equal to zero and it is shown that if the wronskian does not equal zero, then the two solutions are linearly independent.
sdoyle1

Homework Statement

y1(t) and y2(t), 2 solutions of the equation:

y'' +ay'+by=0, with a,b εℝ - {0}
a) Determine:
d/dt w(y1,y2)
where w(y1,y2) is the wronskian of y1(t) and y2(t)
b)
Deduce that if (y1(0),y1'(0)^T and (y2(0), y2'(0))^T are 2 linearly independent vectors. Then y1(t) and y2(t) are linearly independent functions.

Homework Equations

^T = transpose
the wronskian is the det |y1 y2|
|y1' y2'| = y1y2' -y2y1'
Vectors are linearly independent if w(y1,y2) does not equal 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, do I just find the wronskian of y1 and y2 and then take the derivative?
For part b I'm super confused. I notice that if you transpose the two vectors and put them into a determinant than they are the wronskian.. other than that I'm pretty lost..

Physics news on Phys.org
for a. yes, although i think you can simplify the result a little...

for b. start with the given linear combination equal to zero...

I'm a bit confused regarding the linear combination. Would it just be

C1V1+C2V2=0?
I'm not sure what this would accomplish... other than c1v1=-C2V2...

1. What is the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is a mathematical concept named after the Polish mathematician Józef Maria Hoene-Wroński. It is a determinant that is used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions.

2. What is the significance of the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is important in differential equations because it can be used to determine whether a set of functions is a fundamental set of solutions, meaning that any solution to the differential equation can be expressed as a linear combination of these functions.

3. How is the Wronskian related to the derivative of a function?

The Wronskian is related to the derivative of a function in that the derivative of the Wronskian is equal to the Wronskian multiplied by a constant. This constant is equal to the sum of the products of the functions and their respective derivatives.

4. Can the Wronskian be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used to solve differential equations. It is particularly useful in solving linear differential equations, where it can be used to determine if a set of functions is a fundamental set of solutions and to find the general solution to the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Wronskian in solving differential equations?

One limitation of using the Wronskian in solving differential equations is that it can only be applied to linear differential equations. It also requires the functions to be continuous and have continuous derivatives on the interval of interest.