Increasing/ Decreasing of a Sequence

In summary: Is that the right interpretation?In summary, the sequence 2n/4n+1 can be simplified to 1/2n+1, which will approach 0 as n approaches infinity. This indicates that the sequence is convergent and decreasing. For the sequence 2n/(4n+1), dividing by 2n simplifies it to 1/(4n+1), which will also approach 0 as n approaches infinity. This indicates that the sequence is also convergent and decreasing.
trap101
Determine the monotonicity and boundedness of the sequence.

1) 4n/ (4n2 + 1)22) 2n/ 4n + 1Question: I'm having a problem in knowing whether the approach I'm using is providing the right solutions.

in 1) I used the an+1/an and tried to compare their ratios. I end up with: 4n+4/ (4n2 + 8n + 5)1/2 . Now I know this will be less than 1 when I use a few "test values" such as n = 1, 2, etc. But how am I certain that the direction of the sequence won't eventually change?

If I take the derivative of the original sequence I end up with (after simplifying): 16n2 - 2n + 4 = 0. In that equation I can't find any critical points so is it safe to say that the sequence is always increasing based on that logic?In 2) I did the an+1/an approach and got it was decreasing. But only was I was able to conclude that was from putting in "test values" at the end again. This is when I simplified the ratio to: 2(4n+1)/ 4n+1 +1. I tried to find the derivative and get critical points but I couldn't find anything. What should I do in this case?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding the derivative of 4x/(4x2 + 1)2 again.

Bohrok said:
Try finding the derivative of 4x/(4x2 + 1)2 again.

My mistake, it was actually suppose to be 4x/(4x2 + 1)1/2

Well find the derivative of that, and what do you get?

I get 16n2-2n + 4 = 0

which when i tried to solve for roots i could not find any, even using the -b + (b2- 4ac)1/2/2a formula.

I'm not sure how you're getting that; try it one more time. Remember that (f/g)' = (gf' - fg')/g2

Bohrok said:
I'm not sure how you're getting that; try it one more time. Remember that (f/g)' = (gf' - fg')/g2

Maybe I should explain how I'm getting that. So after I differentiate I get this:

4(4n2+1)1/2 - 4n(1/2(4n2+1)-1/2) / (4n2+1) = 0

and then I simplify everything and end up with what I got above. Then to solve for possible critical points I used the quadratic formula, which doesn't work.

trap101 said:
Maybe I should explain how I'm getting that. So after I differentiate I get this:

4(4n2+1)1/2 - 4n(1/2(4n2+1)-1/2) / (4n2+1) = 0

and then I simplify everything and end up with what I got above. Then to solve for possible critical points I used the quadratic formula, which doesn't work.

Blimey! I forgot to apply the chain rule to the inside. Ok, but now I ended up with 4 = 0 as my simplified expression. What does that indicate?

trap101 said:
Blimey! I forgot to apply the chain rule to the inside. OK, but now I ended up with 4 = 0 as my simplified expression. What does that indicate?
That means that the equation has no solution. In this particular case it means that the derivative is not zero anywhere.

Since the function, 4x/(4x2 + 1)(1/2), is differentiable for all real numbers, what does the fact that its derivative is never zero tell you?

SammyS said:
That means that the equation has no solution. In this particular case it means that the derivative is not zero anywhere.

Since the function, 4x/(4x2 + 1)(1/2), is differentiable for all real numbers, what does the fact that its derivative is never zero tell you?

Well when I was looking over some other questions that I'm having the similar problems with what I noticed is that it indicates that either the sequence is increasing or decreasing through out. To find out which one it does exactly, are you able to just take a couple test values and plug them into observe the behavior? i.e n= 1, 2, 3, etc. Since you know it has to go in only one direction

trap101 said:
Well when I was looking over some other questions that I'm having the similar problems with what I noticed is that it indicates that either the sequence is increasing or decreasing through out. To find out which one it does exactly, are you able to just take a couple test values and plug them into observe the behavior? i.e n= 1, 2, 3, etc. Since you know it has to go in only one direction
That will work, or evaluate the derivative at anyone point, since it doesn't change sign.

Thanks. One other quick question about types of sequences:

2n/ 4n+1

How do I handle this sort of sequence? I tried the an+1/an approach, but I don't think it's conclusive. When I take the derivative I end up with :

(2n)(4n)(ln 2 - ln 4) = 0

this is after setting the respective powers to eln.

How do I determine behavior from here?

trap101 said:
Thanks. One other quick question about types of sequences:

2n/ 4n+1

How do I handle this sort of sequence? I tried the an+1/an approach, but I don't think it's conclusive. When I take the derivative I end up with :

(2n)(4n)(ln 2 - ln 4) = 0

this is after setting the respective powers to eln.

How do I determine behavior from here?

You don't have to take any derivatives at all. Just divide numerator and denominator by 2^n. The answer will depend on whether you are asking about 2^n/4^n+1 or 2^n/(4^n+1).

Dick said:
You don't have to take any derivatives at all. Just divide numerator and denominator by 2^n. The answer will depend on whether you are asking about 2^n/4^n+1 or 2^n/(4^n+1).

I don't fully understand what you mean by dividing by 2n. So if I divide everything by 2n I should get something of this form:

1 / 2n + (1/2n)

Now since this is a sequence I'm only concerned with values of n ≥ 1. With that being the case, the fraction will go to zero eventually...Is that the right interpretation?

trap101 said:
I don't fully understand what you mean by dividing by 2n. So if I divide everything by 2n I should get something of this form:

1 / 2n + (1/2n)

Now since this is a sequence I'm only concerned with values of n ≥ 1. With that being the case, the fraction will go to zero eventually...Is that the right interpretation?

Yes, it goes to zero. To show it's decreasing you just have to show the denominator is increasing.

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a set of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be either finite (a sequence with a specific number of terms) or infinite (a sequence that continues indefinitely).

2. How do you increase a sequence?

To increase a sequence, you can add a constant value to each term in the sequence or multiply each term by a constant value. This will shift the sequence upward and create a new set of numbers that follow the same pattern as the original sequence.

3. How do you decrease a sequence?

To decrease a sequence, you can subtract a constant value from each term in the sequence or divide each term by a constant value. This will shift the sequence downward and create a new set of numbers that follow the same pattern as the original sequence.

4. What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric sequences?

Arithmetic sequences have a constant difference between each term, while geometric sequences have a constant ratio between each term. In other words, in an arithmetic sequence, you add or subtract the same number to get from one term to the next, while in a geometric sequence, you multiply or divide by the same number to get from one term to the next.

5. Can a sequence have both increasing and decreasing parts?

Yes, a sequence can have both increasing and decreasing parts. This can happen when the sequence has a repeating pattern or when the sequence has multiple rules that apply to different parts of the sequence.