Pushing a stick thought experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the thought experiment of pushing a stick that stretches from Earth to the sun and how long it would take for the other end to move. It is determined that the mechanical impulse would travel at the speed of sound through the material, which is much slower than the speed of light. One person suggests that the stick would take about 15 years to move, while another clarifies that this would only apply if the stick was made of air. The conversation also includes a humorous anecdote about a student who politely told the speaker to go get coffee, and concludes with a reminder to drink lots of coffee.
amentac
"Pushing a stick" thought experiment

Hello, I'm new here and I wanted to ask a question that has been bugging me for a while. I did a quick search in the forum but frankly not sure what to search for.

Imagine you have a long stick that stretches from the Earth to the sun. If I push on one end of the stick how long will it take for the other end to move?

So more specifically, if the atoms at the end of my finger are pushing on the atoms at one end of the stick and there is lots of space between the atoms, then something is transmitting the pushing action between the atoms. Since nothing travels faster than the speed of light it should take approx 8 min for the other end of the stick to move. If the other end of the stick moves instantaneously then is there something that does travel faster than the speed of light?

tnx

Physics news on Phys.org

thank you...much longer than 8min

amentac said:
thank you...much longer than 8min

Yes, sounds goes about 700 mph, so it would take about 15 years

phinds said:
Yes, sounds goes about 700 mph, so it would take about 15 years

In air. In the stick it will be much faster.

Lsos said:

DOH !

It's early. My brain is not connected yet. I should keep my mouth shut. Forget I said anything. I'm not even here.

Coffee! Drink lots of Coffee!

(I once had a student stop me as I was leaving my office to get my morning coffee. After going over her work for a time (I thought I was being very nice and polite) she said "Please go get your coffee. I can wait."!)

Lsos said:

If the stick were made of air it would actually take longer than 15 years for the stick to move. But sticks are not made of air as far as I know.

I have not had coffee. So I am going back to sleep.

HallsofIvy said:
Coffee! Drink lots of Coffee!
Brewing a second pot right now!

1. What is the "Pushing a stick thought experiment"?

The "Pushing a stick thought experiment" is a theoretical scenario proposed by philosopher George Berkeley to explore the concept of perception and reality. In this experiment, Berkeley asks us to imagine pushing a stick into the water and observing how it appears bent. He then questions whether the bent appearance is a true representation of reality or merely a product of our perception.

2. What is the purpose of this thought experiment?

The purpose of this thought experiment is to challenge our understanding of the relationship between perception and reality. It prompts us to question whether our senses accurately reflect the world around us or if they are subject to distortion and interpretation.

3. What does this experiment suggest about the nature of reality?

This experiment suggests that reality may be subjective and dependent on our perception. It challenges the idea of an objective reality and raises questions about the reliability of our senses.

4. How is this thought experiment relevant to science?

This thought experiment is relevant to science because it highlights the role of perception and observation in scientific investigation. It reminds us that our understanding of the world is shaped by our senses and that they may not always accurately reflect reality.

5. Can this thought experiment be applied to other areas of study?

Yes, this thought experiment can be applied to various fields of study, including philosophy, psychology, and physics. It can help us question our assumptions and explore the relationship between perception and reality in different contexts.