Irrational number to an irrational power

In summary, the author is looking for a solution to a maths problem from college, and has little knowledge about rational numbers. They state that a^b is not necessarily irrational, but does not provide a proof. They also mention that if sqrt(2)^sqrt(2) is irrational, then (√2)(√2)(√2) is rational. However, proving the Gelfond-Schneider theorem is incredibly difficult.
Mabs

Homework Statement

if a and b are irrational numbers, is a^b necessarily an irrational number ? prove it.

The Attempt at a Solution

this is an question i got from my first maths(real analysis) class (college) , and have to say, i have only little knowledge about rational number, i would like to give it a try to find a solution but need some help, i know that a^b is not necessarily an irrational number cause if a = √2^√2 and b = √2 it becomes rational.

but i don't think its the proof that the question is expecting as its on real analysis. any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for my English too.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot prove that statement since, as you have shown via a counterexample, it is false. The question might have said:
'If a and b are irrational numbers, is ab necessarily irrational? Find a counterexample or prove it.​

Likes 1 person
sorry for that mate it actually says to prove my answer , yes or no. i know its no but i have no idea how to prove it. :confused:

Showing the counterexample you have proven the statement to be false. So the answer is "no" and the counterexample is the proof.

Borek said:
Showing the counterexample you have proven the statement to be false. So the answer is "no" and the counterexample is the proof.
Assuming that one also starts with the proof that (√2)√2 is irrational.

Likes 1 person
Good point :blushing:

Likes 1 person
collinsmark said:
Assuming that one also starts with the proof that (√2)√2 is irrational.

Don't need to prove that, since if it is rational we have found our counterexample. However if it is irrational, I don't see the proof that (√2)(√2)(√2) is rational.

Likes 1 person
It's not the tower power of sqrt(2), rather

$$\left(\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}}\right) ~ ^{\sqrt{2}} $$

which gives you the desired counterexample to the question in the problem, iff you manage to prove that the nr. inside the bracket is irrational.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
epenguin said:
Don't need to prove that, since if it is rational we have found our counterexample.

Also a good point. :blushing:

Likes 1 person
collinsmark said:
Also a good point. :blushing:

Independently of whether or not (√2)(√2)(√2) and ((√2)(√2))(√2) are the same thing. :biggrin:

dextercioby said:
It's not the tower power of sqrt(2), rather

$$\left(\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}}\right) ~ ^{\sqrt{2}} $$

which gives you the desired counterexample to the question in the problem, iff you manage to prove that the nr. inside the bracket is irrational.

If you did, how would it follow that your expression here is rational?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
thanks guys , proving sqrt2 ^sqrt2 is irrational , need to try on that one . thanks for the help.

epenguin said:
If you did, how would it follow that your expression here is rational?

[tex](\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}})^{\sqrt{2}}=(\sqrt{2})^{\sqrt{2}\cdot \sqrt{2}}=(\sqrt{2})^2=2[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Mabs said:
thanks guys , proving sqrt2 ^sqrt2 is irrational , need to try on that one . thanks for the help.

That's a toughie. Look up the Gelfond-Schneider theorem. With the theorem, it's trivial, but proving that theorem is very hard.

But as for the original question, this is a well-known proof that's often cited as a classic non-constructive proof. The proposition is that an irrational raised to an irrational power can be rational.

So we consider ##x = \sqrt{2}^\sqrt{2}##. Either ##x## is rational or irrational. If it's the former, our work is done. If the latter, then let ##y = x^\sqrt{2} = \sqrt{2}^2 = 2##. In this case, we've taken an irrational (##x##), raised it to an irrational power (##\sqrt{2}##) and the result is rational. QED.

It's a non-constructive proof because we didn't actually commit ourselves as to whether ##x## was rational or irrational. But we "covered our bases" either way.

Likes 1 person
thanks mate, can anyone recommend me some books for additional reading on rational numbers ( from the basics ) , it would be great .

What is an irrational number to an irrational power?

An irrational number to an irrational power is an expression where both the base and the exponent are irrational numbers. This means that both the number being multiplied (base) and the number of times to multiply (exponent) are non-repeating, non-terminating decimals.

What is an example of an irrational number to an irrational power?

An example of an irrational number to an irrational power is √2^√3. In this expression, both √2 and √3 are irrational numbers, making it an irrational number to an irrational power.

What is the result of an irrational number to an irrational power?

The result of an irrational number to an irrational power is always an irrational number. This is because the product of two irrational numbers is always irrational.

What is the significance of irrational number to an irrational power in mathematics?

Irrational numbers to an irrational power are important in mathematics because they can represent numbers that cannot be expressed as fractions or decimals. They also help to expand our understanding of the complexities of numbers and their relationships.

Can an irrational number to an irrational power be simplified?

No, an irrational number to an irrational power cannot be simplified. This is because both the base and the exponent are already in their simplest form as irrational numbers, and there is no way to further reduce the expression.