Trying to convert an old Dell ATX power supply into a lab power supply

In summary, you have a switch that causes a voltage drop when it is open, and a higher voltage when it is closed. However, you don't find continuity anywhere else in the circuit, the fan doesn't turn on, and the switch has a built-in LED.
res3210
Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble and I really hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I have been following this wikihow: http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply.

In general, my power supply seems similar, although the coloring scheme is a bit different, but I have checked all the wires for their values and have labeled them all so I know which wires yield which voltages (or are supposed to). Anyways, I am confused, because I have a switch connecting the power cable and a ground lead, and not only do I read a voltage drop across the switch when it is open, it is HIGHER than when I close the switch. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I should probably also mention that I don't find continuity anywhere else in the circuit, the fan doesn't turn on, and the switch has a built-in LED.

res3210 said:
Anyways, I am confused, because I have a switch connecting the power cable and a ground lead, and not only do I read a voltage drop across the switch when it is open, it is HIGHER than when I close the switch.

You SHOULD have a voltage across an open switch.

Why? isn't the circuit open, i.e. incomplete?

Oh wait, yes, that's right... haha wow, that was embarrassing... And I dare call myself a physicist! But do you happen to know why that's the only place I measure a voltage drop?

Computer power supplies use pulse width modulation to supply the demanded power, if you have an increase of load it will change its duty cycle from 50% to a higher duty cycle. Hence a 300w power supply can supply 400 watts of load, however this will wear out the power supply faster. With the swiutch open you have a no load condition, with the switch closed you apply the load so lower voltage although it must be a decent load. I wouldn't think just a switch would cause a measurable change. Is it possibly passing excess current to ground through a resistance?

The switch has an LED in it, although I don't know if that would cause a significant decrease. I also have a resistor attached to 5v and ground wire. But I read no voltage drop across it, so I don't think that is doing anything..

A led draws very little current, your right in that your voltage drop is not normal, measure the resistance at each point in the circuit see if you have a higher than normal load somewhere in the circuit. 12 volt supply line at 300 watts should be able to supply 24 amps of power. On the 5 volt side a 300 watt power supply 60 amps. however they step that down on the PS so check the rating label for current on the 5 and 12 volt label rating. I'm making the assumption its a typical 300 watt supply could be more or less. But either way your circuit shouldn't draw that much. If you can make a circuit diagram with the measured resistances and post it that may help us visualize whas going on.

edit they usually limit the current to less than 15 amps but see what on the rating label

here is an atx color code reference for double checking your pinouts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

also possible you have a bad power supply in that it doesn't push out enough current but has the voltage

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1373412660.403006.jpg

This is more or less how I set it up. All the ground leads are connected back to the power supply. I measure a voltage drop across the switch and that's it. the resistor preceding the diode is 330-ohm 1/4 watt (I think). The other resistor is a 10-ohm, 10 watt sandbar resistor.

I also read that some of these ATX power supplies have a 3.3v wire which must be connected to a 3.3v sense wire on some of the newer models. I am not sure if I have this. I have found a lone 3.3v wire on the circuit board, but I don't know if its a sense wire or not. How can I tell? If I draw out the schematic for the circuit, could I tell?

Thanks again for the help.

the link I supplied on the 24 din model shows the sense at 3.3 volts pin 13. its used to detect voltage drops might be the problem see the wiki link above

edit just checked the 20 pin model also uses pin 13

Wonderful, I will see what I can do. Thanks so much for the help.

I have a PC PS on my bench as well (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2284639 ), please note, these are typically NOT ISOLATED - so your DC circuits are connected to your house mains (did I mention I am looking for a new scope (;-)- I had planned to buy an isolation transformer, but then started building my own PSs - and do not use this much.

1. Can any old Dell ATX power supply be used for this conversion?

No, not all Dell ATX power supplies are suitable for this conversion. Make sure the power supply has a 20 or 24-pin ATX connector and a minimum output of 300W.

2. Is it safe to use a modified power supply for lab experiments?

It is generally safe, as long as the conversion is done correctly and all safety precautions are taken. However, it is always recommended to use caution and follow proper safety measures when working with electricity.

3. Do I need any special tools or equipment for this conversion?

No, you can use basic tools such as wire cutters, soldering iron, and a multimeter. However, it is helpful to have a power supply tester to ensure the output voltages are correct.

4. What are the potential risks of converting an old power supply into a lab power supply?

The main risk is the possibility of electric shock if the conversion is not done correctly or if the power supply is damaged. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and double check the output voltages before using the power supply for experiments.

5. Can I use the converted power supply for any type of lab experiment?

It depends on the output voltages and current capabilities of the power supply. Some experiments may require higher voltages or currents that a converted power supply may not be able to provide. It is best to research the specific requirements of your experiment before using the converted power supply.