PF Staff Changes: Farewell & Welcoming New Mentors

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, three mentors, SammyS, Fredrik, and Micromass, have left the Mentor group due to busy real lives. However, two new mentors, Office_Shredder and gneill, have joined the staff. Micromass has also moved from Homework Help to Mathematics. Congrats to the new mentors and thanks to the departing mentors for their incredible effort. Some members have expressed sadness and hope for the return of the departing mentors, while others have congratulated the new mentors and shared anecdotes about Micromass.
We're sad to see SammyS, Fredrik and Micromass leave the Mentor group. All are facing very busy real lives. We are hoping it's temporary so they can hop back in and put back on the Mentor pants! Thanks to them for their incredible effort!

We're proud to announce two members have stepped up to the plate and we've hit a home run. Office_Shredder will be joining the staff as a Mathematics Mentor and gneill as a Homework Help Mentor. Both are long time members who have shown time and again their good character and excellent quality. Welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats to the new, hats off for the old for job well done! :smile:

Sad to see SammyS leaving, he had been a great Homework Helper to me, I hope he returns soon. Thank you SammyS for the time you spent helping out the students. :)

Congratulations to the new mentors. :smile:

Sorry to see micro leave, he was a sweet, caring, helpful math genius.

Fredrik, I hope you will return when things are less hectic for you, getting to know you in the mentors forum was fun.

Sammy, I never saw you in the mentor's forum, so I never got to know you, but I hear you are very helpful in homework and hope you will continue.

Now I can start hazing the new mentors. :tongue2:

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
We're sad to see SammyS, Fredrik and Micromass leave the Mentor group. All are facing very busy real lives. We are hoping it's temporary so they can hop back in and put back on the Mentor pants! Thanks to them for their incredible effort!

We're proud to announce two members have stepped up to the plate and we've hit a home run. Office_Shredder will be joining the staff as a Mathematics Mentor and gneill as a Homework Help Mentor. Both are long time members who have shown time and again their good character and excellent quality. Welcome!

And in accord with my ruling, micromass may not leave the forum.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4432202&postcount=10

It's sad to see such a great group of mentors all leave at the same time

Office_Shredder said:
It's sad to see such a great group of mentors all leave at the same time

Indeed. The best always leave while the others... remain. Sad. Hope they come back.

Congratulations to both gneill and Office_Shredder...:smile:

Crake said:
Indeed. The best always leave while the others... remain. Sad. Hope they come back.

Thank you. Do you want to be banned in one step, or with a several separate infractions?

Borek said:
Thank you. Do you want to be banned in one step, or with a several separate infractions?
:rofl:

Is it even possible to receive continued (in)fractions?? Down in the abyss, step by step??:confused:

Evo said:
Sorry to see micro leave, he was a sweet, caring, helpful math genius.

. . . wow. I really though Micromass was female. I'm not trying to insult here. I just seem to recall micro implying that in a thread or two. You sure right?

jackmell said:
. . . wow. I really though Micromass was female. I'm not trying to insult here. I just seem to recall micro implying that in a thread or two. You sure right?
I can confirm that micromass was and is male.

Evo said:

Alright. Thanks. Guess he's gonna' be insulted now. Really didn't mean offense. I was almost sure of it. Guess my brilliant sense of observation can fail sometimes.

Go ahead, someone say something insulting to me. That will make it even then. Don't want him to hate me.

jackmell smells. Of mackerel.

Is that insulting enough?

arildno said:
jackmell smells. Of mackerel.

Is that insulting enough?

I was expecting to be completely ignored which is itself insulting so either way I get pie. But thanks for being considerate Arildno.

But may I mention a short, but well-written, anecdote I have of micromass? There was a thread in GD about a topic more suited to the beyond forum that the OP was clearly not qualified to talk about. Several challenged him but micromass gave a short highly mathematical-sounding reply that could have made sense if you were in the know. I asked micromass, "you're joking right?" to which he replied and I quote, "not really, no". The others then took the thread more seriously. However, look at what he said, "not really, no" could mean no, not really which could mean "not joking, no" which means no, not joking which means joking. To this day I believe micromass was joking although my wonderful sense of observation has failed me in the past.

Last edited:
jackmell said:

I remember that too, although I don't know which thread.

jackmell said:
I was expecting to be completely ignored which is itself insulting so either way I get pie. But thanks for being considerate Arildno.

But may I mention a short, but well-written, anecdote I have of micromass? There was a thread in GD about a topic more suited to the beyond forum that the OP was clearly not qualified to talk about. Several challenged him but micromass gave a short highly mathematical-sounding reply that could have made sense if you were in the know. I asked micromass, "you're joking right?" to which he replied and I quote, "not really, no". The others then took the thread more seriously. However, look at what he said, "not really, no" could mean no, not really which could mean "not joking, no" which means no, not joking which means joking. To this day I believe micromass was joking although my wonderful sense of observation has failed me in the past.

I didn't think he was joking. I think he just reads/knows more than the rest of us...

jackmell said:

LCKurtz said:
I remember that too, although I don't know which thread.
Maybe from his/her profile:

About micromass
Biography
Hi, I'm a 19 year old Belgian girl who's interested in science!
Country
Belgium
Interests
Typical girly things: dancing, shopping, photography, boyz

Earlier his profile stated something about micromass being 16 which was a running joke on the chat.

Evo said:
I reject your reality and...
About micromass
Biography
Hi, I'm a 19 year old Belgian girl who's interested in science!
Country Belgium
Interests Typical girly things:dancing,shopping,photography,boyz
...substitute my own!
I've always been impressed with the quality of Greg's choices for Mentors. It's quite amazing, actually.

chemisttree said:
I've always been impressed with the quality of Greg's choices for Mentors. It's quite amazing, actually.

The entire staff helps out. Quality knows quality.

chemisttree said:

...substitute my own!

Why can't I access your "about", in your public profile? Did you disable it somehow? I can only see "Statistics".

chemisttree said:

...substitute my own!
Lol, he changed his profile after he read the post in this thread about someone thinking he was a girl. He loves jokes.

Evo said:
Lol, he changed his profile after he read the post in this thread about someone thinking he was a girl. He loves jokes.
He's had that profile for quite a while. I remember checking it out some time ago and wondering how a 19 year old girl could know so much about mathematics :!)

DrClaude said:
He's had that profile for quite a while. I remember checking it out some time ago and wondering how a 19 year old girl could know so much about mathematics :!)

Yeah right Dr.Claude. You set them straight. It's not appropriate. Now I can understand if you guys are running some sort of covert operation in here trying to catch predators and in that case I'm 100% with you; we need to protect them, the young girls I mean. But otherwise, no. Now I have nothing against micromass. Not a single person in PF I dislike. And therefore I request either he remove that specification or a mentor remove it for him and either say he's a guy or say nothing. Otherwise, what's to stop an old guy possing as a 13 year old guy that tries to hit on a likewise 13 year old girl?

I feel this sort of misrepresentation should be against forum policies. Sorry micromass.

jackmell said:
Yeah right Dr.Claude. You set them straight. It's not appropriate. Now I can understand if you guys are running some sort of covert operation in here trying to catch predators and in that case I'm 100% with you; we need to protect them, the young girls I mean. But otherwise, no. Now I have nothing against micromass. Not a single person in PF I dislike. And therefore I request either he remove that specification or a mentor remove it for him and either say he's a guy or say nothing. Otherwise, what's to stop an old guy possing as a 13 year old guy that tries to hit on a likewise 13 year old girl?

I feel this sort of misrepresentation should be against forum policies. Sorry micromass.

Either this is a joke, and a really good one at that I might add, or you really really need to calm down and stop making a big deal out of every little thing, seriously. It's comical and not in a good way.

jackmell said:
Otherwise, what's to stop an old guy possing as a 13 year old guy that tries to hit on a likewise 13 year old girl?

But if you tell them it's not allowed they won't do it, right?

No Office_Shredder we can't prevent it but we could discourage the practice.

And Wannabe, yes I'm serious but it's not a big dea.

I won't check up to see if he changed it or complain about it further.

I'm simply stating my opinion about the matter, that's all. Got lots of other stuff to do.

Wait, let me qualify that: the concept, the principle is a big deal to me but it's not a big deal if we do nothing about it.

Last edited:
Borek said:
My answer to this question is "no."

This is a math and physics forum, after all. Hooray for formal logic! :tongue:

Evo said:
This picture
http://www.tineye.com/query/c2c0b0acfce84844228cc47fa9c5a98561fcc172
adequately displays my reaction to this.

Evo said:
You're sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mandelbroth said:
You're sure?
Ok, I'm closing this thread. Micromass is a male, and he's not a teenager.

1. What prompted the staff changes at PF?

The staff changes at PF were prompted by the retirement of some long-time mentors and the need for fresh perspectives and new ideas to continue the growth and success of the organization.

2. Who are the new mentors joining the PF team?

The new mentors joining the PF team are highly qualified and experienced individuals who have a passion for helping others and a strong understanding of the organization's mission and values.

3. Will the departing mentors still be involved with PF in any capacity?

While they will no longer be part of the staff, the departing mentors will still be involved with PF as volunteers and advisors, providing guidance and support to the new mentors and the organization as a whole.

4. How will the staff changes affect current mentees?

The staff changes will not affect current mentees in any negative way. The new mentors are dedicated to providing the same level of support and guidance to all mentees, and the departing mentors have helped ensure a smooth transition.

5. What can we expect from PF with the addition of new mentors?

With the addition of new mentors, we can expect fresh ideas and perspectives, as well as continued dedication to helping mentees reach their full potential. The organization will also be able to expand its reach and impact with the help of the new mentors.