Help for Physics Major With Low GPA Seeking Job

• Thread starter Slakjak1215
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to pursue a career in physics, you will need to have excellent grades and be able to explain your low cumulative grade point average in English classes.
Slakjak1215
Hello, I am new here so bare with me please!
I am a Physics major with a concentration in Engineering from a university that does not have a very well known physics department, nor does it have an Engineering department. I currently have just below a 3.0 overall GPA and above a 3.0 GPA in my science and math courses. I have a paid internship that I have been working at for the past three summers but the problem is it's in an IT field. They hired me when my major was computer science but I have been doing a really good job so they keep asking me back. The CEO's and almost everyone I know here likes me as an employee and friend. A couple people that run the company would certainly write recommendations for me and help me move along.

Now the question is, How screwed am I for getting a job in the field of Physics? My grades aren't great but I can work when it comes to employment and have a whole company that can vouch for me and back me. What I see as a concern is that my grades aren't the greatest for one and I do not have experience in the field. I have one more year left until I graduate and I am nervous that I will not be able to find anything for myself.

Thank you for your inputs ahead of time!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "in the field of physics" mean? All I can think that could be is a professional physicist with a PhD working at a university or national lab, or perhaps a medical physicist.

I would conjecture that far more physics graduates end up doing IT than working "in physics".

As far as getting into a position as a physicist, its not going to be easy with those grades. In fact, its not easy with good grades... You need to be doing research and publishing (rather than doing IT internships) and applying to graduate schools for a PhD.

IMO, you are doing a better job at fostering real world and marketable skills by doing IT as an intern than pursuing a career in physics by doing research.

I wasn't thinking anything in the field of Physics. What I meant was being able to use the Physics I have. As in maybe get paid to go back to school to get an engineering degree or work with my Physics degree next to Engineers.

As far as the grades go... Just put your major GPA on resumes instead of your regular gpa and you'll be fine. As long as you can explain the low cumulative most employers won't think twice about you getting bad grades in English classes.

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on your paid internship and for excelling in your science and math courses. It sounds like you have strong skills and a good work ethic, which are important qualities for any job in the field of physics.

While your overall GPA may not be as high as you would like, having a GPA above a 3.0 in your science and math courses is a positive factor. Additionally, your experience in the IT field through your internship can also be valuable in the job market. Many employers value practical experience and skills over grades.

I would recommend highlighting your internship experience and the skills you have gained in your resume and during job interviews. Additionally, reaching out to your connections at the company and asking for recommendations can also be helpful in showcasing your abilities.

In terms of finding a job in the field of physics, it may be helpful to focus on companies or organizations that align with your interests and strengths. Networking and attending job fairs or career events can also help you make connections and learn about potential job opportunities.

Overall, while having a lower GPA may be a concern, it is not the only factor that employers consider. Your experience, skills, and enthusiasm for the field can also make you a strong candidate for a job in physics. Keep working hard and showcasing your strengths, and I am confident that you will be able to find a job that fits your interests and goals. Best of luck to you in your job search.

What kind of job opportunities are available for physics majors with low GPA?

There are many job opportunities available for physics majors with low GPA, including research positions, teaching positions, and roles in industries such as engineering, finance, and technology. It is important to network and showcase your skills and knowledge to potential employers.

How can I improve my chances of getting a job as a physics major with low GPA?

One way to improve your chances is to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or volunteer work. You can also highlight your strengths and skills in your resume and cover letter, and be prepared to explain your low GPA in a positive and honest manner during interviews.

Will my low GPA significantly impact my salary as a physics major?

Your GPA may factor into initial salary negotiations, but it is not the only determining factor. Employers also consider your skills, experience, and potential for growth. Additionally, as you gain experience and prove your capabilities, your GPA will become less relevant in salary discussions.

Are there any specific industries or companies that are more likely to hire physics majors with low GPA?

There is no set industry or company that exclusively hires physics majors with low GPA. However, smaller companies and startups may be more open to considering candidates with lower GPAs, as they may place more emphasis on skills and potential rather than academic performance.

What skills should I emphasize as a physics major with low GPA when applying for jobs?

As a physics major, you have developed strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Additionally, you may have experience with data analysis, programming, and laboratory techniques. These are valuable skills that employers look for, so be sure to highlight them in your application materials and interviews.