.exe file not a valid Win32 app

• Thread starter GRB 080319B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App File
In summary, the .exe files that the user tried to open were not compatible with the Firefox browser on their computer.
GRB 080319B
I've tried to open several different .exe files, and keep getting the same error. I've gone to several Windows help/ troubleshooting sites to no avail. My OS is Windows XP SP3 and browser is Firefox Ver. 3.5.9. I'm not able to install any other browsers on my system to test if this is Firefox causing the problem because the files won't open, and don't have IE on my computer. I've tried manipulating the download options, shutting off add-ons, turning off pop-up blockers, and turning off antivirus software, and nothing seems to work. I'm wondering if this is a registry problem or something else. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Where did you get these exe files from?

Do you have antivirus scanner?

If your Windows runs it means it was able to open at least some exe files... Can you start notepad? It is an exe file.

Are you sure you don't have IE on your computer? Check Start menu/All programs.

I was able to find IE on my computer and download and open the files through that. One file was Code Blocks, a C compiler, and the other was Double Twist, a mp3 player app. I believe something is wrong with my Firefox browser, I think it corrupts the download or cuts it short. Thank you for your help, Borek.

GRB 080319B said:
I was able to find IE on my computer and download and open the files through that. One file was Code Blocks, a C compiler, and the other was Double Twist, a mp3 player app. I believe something is wrong with my Firefox browser, I think it corrupts the download or cuts it short. Thank you for your help, Borek.

You either downloaded a Dos program that was written for 16 bit version, or a 64 bit version and you tried running it on your windows which is 32 bit version.

Next time you download something make sure it is for either Windows 95/98/SE/ME/NT/2000

GRB 080319B said:

Have you tried to reinstall Firefox?

Do you have any of the .NET Frameworks installed on your computer? These .exe files could contain .NET code--those have a different internal format than "native" executable files--but if the framework is not installed on your computer, they will not be able to run.

1. What does the error message "not a valid Win32 app" mean?

This error message means that the .exe file you are trying to run is not compatible with the version of the Windows operating system you are using.

2. Why am I getting this error message?

There are several possible reasons for this error message, including corrupted or incomplete file downloads, outdated or incompatible software, or malware infections.

3. How can I fix this error?

One potential solution is to redownload the file from a trusted source and ensure that the download is complete. You can also try updating your operating system and any software related to the file. If the issue persists, run a virus/malware scan on your computer.

4. Can I convert the file to make it compatible with my operating system?

No, it is not possible to convert an .exe file to make it compatible with a different operating system. You will need to obtain a version of the file that is specifically designed for your operating system.

5. Is this error message specific to Windows operating systems?

Yes, the "not a valid Win32 app" error message is specific to Windows operating systems. Mac and Linux users may encounter similar error messages if they try to run a Windows-only .exe file on their systems.