Casimir's Trick/Evaluating Cross Sections

• Thread starter Spriteling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
In summary, the term i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'^{\alpha}k^{\beta}P^{\mu} P'^{\nu} can be evaluated by noting that it is the product of k'^0k^1P^2 P'^3, where each term is the product of a 4-vector and a permutation of indices.
Spriteling
Hi all.

I'm working on a project at the moment, and I've run into some questions regarding the 4-d Levi Civita tensor contracted with the metric tensor.

I'm working on finding the cross-section for neutrino-proton scattering. While ccontracting the hadronic and leptonic tensors, I end up with a term like [itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'_{\alpha}k_{\beta}g^{\mu \nu}[/itex] but I am uncertain as to how to evaluate this term. I've looked all through Griffiths and Halzen and Marten and I've googled but I can't find a definitive answer. Can anyone help?
(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section; I wasn't sure if it should go here, as it is related to HEP, or int he homework help thing, which it isn't really, but it is a question..)

Physics news on Phys.org
Symmetry of the metric ([itex]g^{\mu \nu}=g^{\nu \mu}[/itex]) and total antisymmetry of [itex] \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu}[/itex] imply that [itex]\epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu}g^{\mu \nu}=0[/itex] (together with all possible permutations of indices). So all terms of that form vanish.

Ah, that makes quite a lot of sense.

What if, on the other hand, you have a term like [itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'_{\alpha}k_{\beta}P^{\mu} P^{\nu}[/itex]? k, k' and P are all 4-vectors. How would you be able to evaluate this?

The product [itex]P^\mu P^\nu[/itex] is symmetric under [itex]\mu\leftrightarrow\nu[/itex], so that term vanishes by symmetry as well. If there were a prime on one of the [itex]P[/itex]s, it would not.

To anticipate the next logical question, we can ask how to express [itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'^{\alpha}k^{\beta}P^{\mu} P'^{\nu}[/itex]. There really isn't any simpler form to reduce it to, but we can note that

[itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'^{\alpha}k^{\beta}P^{\mu} P'^{\nu} = i\left( k'^0k^1P^2 P'^3 \pm \text{permutations} \right).[/itex]

1. What is Casimir's Trick?

Casimir's Trick is a mathematical method developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir to evaluate cross sections in quantum field theory. It involves using the properties of the vacuum state to simplify calculations.

2. How does Casimir's Trick work?

Casimir's Trick involves using the so-called propagator function, which describes how particles move and interact in a quantum field. By manipulating this function and using the properties of the vacuum state, the cross section can be evaluated in a simpler and more efficient way.

3. What is the significance of Casimir's Trick in science?

Casimir's Trick is an important tool in theoretical physics, particularly in the field of quantum field theory. It allows for the evaluation of cross sections in a more efficient and elegant way, making complex calculations more manageable and accessible.

4. Are there any limitations to Casimir's Trick?

While Casimir's Trick is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It is most effective for evaluating cross sections in quantum field theories with a small number of particles and simple interactions. In more complex systems, other methods may be needed.

5. How is Casimir's Trick used in practical applications?

Casimir's Trick is primarily used in theoretical physics research, but it has also found applications in other fields such as quantum computing and condensed matter physics. Its ability to simplify calculations and provide insights into the behavior of particles makes it a valuable tool in understanding the fundamental laws of nature.