What factors determine the maximum power a resistor can handle?

• Thread starter WarrickF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary: The resistor's color code will tell you the power rating it can handle. For example, a resistor marked with red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or white bands can handle up to 1 watt of power. A resistor marked with black bands can handle up to 10 watts of power. When you purchase a resistor, the power rating should be listed on the packaging. In summary, resistors come in different colors and ratings that indicate the power they can handle. Resistors can handle a certain amount of power before they start to glow or heat up, and by knowing the wattage of the resistor you can safely power your projects with it.
WarrickF
Hi Guys,

Given a resistor, I understand how to use the bands to calculate the resistance, but how does one tell what the resistor is able to handle.

For example, I have a 51ohm resistor that I connected to a DC power supply. At 5V all was fine, but when I increased the voltage to 10V the poor little resistor was glowing hot.

The last band is for tolerance, but I'm not sure if this helps in any way to determine what kind of current the resistor can handle.

Thanks
Warrick

Physics news on Phys.org
The tolerance doesn't tell you how much power the resistor will take, it tells you within what range your resistor will actually perform at. For example, a 1000 ohm resistor with a 10% tolerance won't be manufactured to have 1200 ohms of resistance for example.

When you purchased the resistor, it should say how much power it can handle safely.

mmm ... thanks. So what you're saying is that given a box of resistors there's no way of knowing?

WarrickF said:
mmm ... thanks. So what you're saying is that given a box of resistors there's no way of knowing?

Probably, but I don't know. Depending on what material they're made of, I bet a general power rating can be determined by people who know more about it than I do.

WarrickF said:

By experience, you can make a good guess from the size and shape of the resistor, but you are correct there is no way of knowing for certain. The most common size modern resistors have a power rating of 0.6 watts.

Almost all resistors that can handle powers higher than 1 watt are not marked with color code bands, but have the resistance and power rating printed on them.

For the off the shelf axial resistor power rating is know by the size of the resistor. The bigger the resistor the more power it is able to dissipate. Once you have dealt with a few resistors you will be able to tell.

The standard wattages are 1/2 W, 1/4W and 1/8W.

Last edited:
Well, when you doubled the voltage, you quadrupled the power that the resistor had to dissipate, since P = V2/R. At 5V, the resistor was dissipating 25/51 = 0.49W. But at 10V, it went to 100/51 = 1.96W.

And looking around I found this: http://www.instructables.com/file/FCSUQFCGJQEDD5L/. It should help give a general idea.

1. What is the maximum power rating of a resistor?

The maximum power rating of a resistor refers to the amount of power that a resistor can safely handle before it becomes damaged. This rating is typically measured in watts and can vary depending on the type and size of the resistor.

2. How does the power rating of a resistor affect its performance?

The power rating of a resistor determines the maximum amount of power it can safely handle without overheating or becoming damaged. If a resistor is exposed to power beyond its rating, it may cause it to fail, change its resistance value, or even catch fire.

3. What factors can affect a resistor's power rating?

Some factors that can affect a resistor's power rating include the material it is made of, its physical size, and its ability to dissipate heat. Higher power ratings usually mean larger resistors with better heat dissipation capabilities.

4. Can a resistor handle more power than its rated value?

No, a resistor should never be exposed to power levels beyond its rated value. Doing so can cause permanent damage to the resistor and potentially lead to dangerous situations such as fires or electrical shorts.

5. How can I calculate the power rating for a specific resistor?

The power rating for a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law (P=I^2*R) where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. You can also refer to the datasheet provided by the manufacturer for the specific power rating of a resistor.