Identify This Real Number

• Thread starter Norm850
  • Start date
In summary: But the method of complements (note the spelling) might.In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help in identifying a real number, 3.5036799918564934004113. They have tried using e+pi/4 and the Zeta function, but have not been successful. The conversation suggests exploring the number's properties, such as its conversion to binary and its lack of the digit 2, as well as considering the class and subject the question was asked in. There is also mention of the method of complements as a potential approach.
Norm850

I need help identifying this real number. The closest I have gotten is e+pi/4.

But I think it has something to do with the Zeta function?

Please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you find this number?

It was asked by my professor as HW, but I have looked and looked and can not find anything online... I was wondering if anyone else knew where to look or even how to look?

Thanks.

Then maybe you should give more information on what class you are taking and what subject you just covered.

It's just a programming class, so the question isn't all that relevant. Not exactly sure why he asked us this question, but he did. I was trying to use an online inverse symbolic calculator or something, but I just can't find anything.

Off hand there doesn't seem to be anything special about this number.

The class and subject question certainly is relevant and has everything to do with it.

Have you converted to binary and noticed anything?

The presentation of the number as a real is noteworthy because machine operations can't work with reals... maybe the idea is to get you thinking about computable vs real numbers?

Have you noticed it interesting that a 23 digit base 10 number does not have an instance of 2?
Maybe this is a clue to look at the method of compliments?

Or it may be like the version of 20 questions where one only pretends to pick something, but keeps all answers consistent with previous answers. Just to see where it goes?

Norm850 said:
I need help identifying this real number. The closest I have gotten is e+pi/4.
And what do you get if you compute e+pi/4 to 22 decimal places?

bahamagreen said:
The class and subject question certainly is relevant and has everything to do with it.

Have you converted to binary and noticed anything?

The presentation of the number as a real is noteworthy because machine operations can't work with reals... maybe the idea is to get you thinking about computable vs real numbers?

Have you noticed it interesting that a 23 digit base 10 number does not have an instance of 2?
Maybe this is a clue to look at the method of compliments?

Or it may be like the version of 20 questions where one only pretends to pick something, but keeps all answers consistent with previous answers. Just to see where it goes?
What you've said is really intriguing. Please expand.

bahamagreen said:
interesting that a 23 digit base 10 number does not have an instance of 2
Is it? Seems like an 8% chance, and similarly for any other nonzero digit. So it's not that surprising that some digit doesn't feature.
method of compliments?
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Last edited:

1. What is a real number?

A real number is a number that can be located on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers, as well as decimal and fractions.

2. How do I identify a real number?

You can identify a real number by its position on the number line, or by its decimal or fraction form. Real numbers can also be represented as algebraic expressions or equations.

3. Are all numbers real numbers?

No, not all numbers are real numbers. Imaginary numbers, such as the square root of -1, are not considered real numbers.

4. What is the difference between a rational and irrational real number?

Rational numbers can be written as a fraction, while irrational numbers cannot be written as a fraction and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

5. How are real numbers used in science?

Real numbers are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to represent measurements and quantities. They are also used in mathematical models and equations to describe natural phenomena.