Register to reply

Why do clouds move in a certain direction?

by GeekyChick
Tags: clouds, direction
Share this thread:
Filip Larsen
Jul27-14, 02:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 961
A slightly old thread, but if GeekyChick is still reading it I would recommend looking for textbooks and websites on meteorology at a suitable educational level before starting to dig into specific topics on cloud physics. Knowledge in general meteorology has very much to do with (recognizing) clouds since these traditionally have been the primary weather indicators for weather prediction.
Dotini
Aug4-14, 08:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 519
Quote Quote by GeekyChick View Post
Okay well its nothing but clouds here. Can you recommend any good books on cloud physics?
To round out a selection of books on cloud physics, I recommend All About Lightning, by Martin Uman. Here we learn how thunderclouds produce lightning, and how thunderstorms act as batteries to keep the earth charged negatively and the atmosphere charged positively. (Fig 18.1, p152)

With respect to answering the question, "Why do clouds move in a certain direction?", I would add that clouds are part of the atmosphere, and move with it. In turn, the atmosphere is in a sense locked to the surface of the planet, and moves with it, the coriolis effect playing an important role.

Register to reply