Temperature dependence of the light yield in scintillators

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why there is a reduction in light yield in scintillators at high temperatures, despite the decrease in decay time for scintillation light. The speaker suggests that noise may be a factor, but is unsure. Another person suggests checking references in a book by Glenn F. Knoll, and provides a paper with a model for the temperature dependence.
abotiz
Hi,

I have a question regarding the temperature dependence of the light yield in scintillators.

I will attach a figure from the book by Glenn F. Knoll,

So the question is, what is causing the reduction in light yield with high temperatures, when the decay time for the scintillation light is reduced with higher temperatures?

I would have guessed that the reduction of decay time for the scintillation light would increase the light yield, not the opposite.

Now, I am familiar that "noise" is increased with higher temperatures, I just can't explicate the answer.

Thank you

Attachments

• Sci.jpg
    Sci.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Interesting! My copy of Knoll has several references discussing that there are several competing mechanisms causing this temperature dependence - maybe you should check them out?

I found this paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0605248.pdf which presents a model for this dependence - Self-Trapped Excitons reaching the Tl+ by thermal assisted hopping.

1. What is the temperature dependence of the light yield in scintillators?

The temperature dependence of the light yield in scintillators refers to the change in the amount of light emitted by the scintillator material when exposed to different temperatures. This phenomenon is important to consider in applications where scintillators are used, such as in radiation detection, as it can affect the accuracy and sensitivity of the measurement.

2. Why is the temperature dependence of light yield important in scintillators?

The temperature dependence of light yield is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of scintillators. Changes in temperature can alter the material's properties, such as its density and crystal structure, which can impact the efficiency of light production and detection. Understanding and controlling this dependence is crucial for accurate and consistent measurements.

3. How does temperature affect the light yield in scintillators?

The effect of temperature on light yield in scintillators varies depending on the type of scintillator material. In some cases, an increase in temperature can lead to an increase in light yield, while in others it can cause a decrease. This is due to changes in the material's energy levels and the efficiency of energy transfer between atoms when heated or cooled.

4. What factors can influence the temperature dependence of light yield in scintillators?

There are several factors that can influence the temperature dependence of light yield in scintillators. These include the type of scintillator material, its composition and crystal structure, the type and amount of impurities present, and the wavelength and intensity of the incident radiation. Additionally, external factors such as pressure and humidity can also affect the temperature dependence.

5. How is the temperature dependence of light yield measured in scintillators?

The temperature dependence of light yield can be measured through various methods, including thermal annealing experiments, temperature-dependent fluorescence or luminescence measurements, and spectroscopic techniques. These experiments involve subjecting the scintillator material to different temperatures and measuring the resulting changes in light output. These measurements can then be used to determine the temperature dependence of light yield and to optimize the material's performance in specific applications.