Register to reply

Temperature dependence of the light yield in scintillators

Share this thread:
abotiz
Aug12-14, 02:24 AM
P: 63
Hi,

I have a question regarding the temperature dependence of the light yield in scintillators.

I will attach a figure from the book by Glenn F. Knoll,

So the question is, what is causing the reduction in light yield with high temperatures, when the decay time for the scintillation light is reduced with higher temperatures?

I would have guessed that the reduction of decay time for the scintillation light would increase the light yield, not the opposite.

Now, I am familiar that "noise" is increased with higher temperatures, I just cant explicate the answer.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Sci.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Greg Bernhardt
Aug17-14, 07:38 PM
Admin
P: 9,709
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
e.bar.goum
Aug18-14, 12:32 AM
P: 234
Interesting! My copy of Knoll has several references discussing that there are several competing mechanisms causing this temperature dependence - maybe you should check them out?

I found this paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0605248.pdf which presents a model for this dependence - Self-Trapped Excitons reaching the Tl+ by thermal assisted hopping.

Register to reply